Sunday, April 2, 2023

to jenkins hall for a nameless troupe


I do so wish they were still known as The Masquers, but GaSoU won't even allow that.
Sigh.
Nameless though they may be, their playhouse remains in Jenkins Hall, as it did when I was a student in the mid-1980's.
My name remains on the plaque by the entrance, as it has since 2012.
That's the year I sponsored two chairs in the main theatre auditorium.
And, for the first time in years, I was sitting in my seat there.
Correction: I was in Mama's seat, C-C-112.
The physicist was in mine, C-C-113.
(smile!)

The play was his idea, about a month ago.
When he had asked which date was best, I'd put the kibosh on Thursday, March 31, knowing that would be the last film of the SJCAF, with blues music.
So, that meant Sunday, April 2, would be the winner...
only I forgot I already had that date taken as one of my original five elsewhere.
Well, hell's belles, where's my clone when I need it???
Oh, yeah, not yet invented.
(smile!)
So... I cancelled my previous plans so I could be with the bfe for a play I'd seen before.
Did I forget to mention that?
Yes, I'd seen "Intimate Apparel" as one of the last live theatre works of 2020.
I had been quite taken with the story and relished the thought of seeing it once more, with younger actors in the mix.
However, it wasn't the thespians that captured my attention...
it was the set.
What a fabulous use of space to display five totally separate, and uniquely different, environments on the single stage!
For the upper photo, taken before the play began, I was caught by the sewing machine, positioned in the boarding house room of Esther, the same room she'd had for 22 years since coming to the city when she was a teen.
At intermission, I took the other photo.
See the difference?
Her sewing machine is now in the upper right, in the room to be occupied by her and her husband, her never-met pen-pal who had wooed her long distance.
I have the other important places in Esther's life more clearly shown this time.
The upper left is the fabric shop of the Jewish proprietor; the lower left is the functional domicile of the prostitute; and the lower right is the boudoir of the 5th Avenue housewife.
Kudos to Thelmore Jackson for an amazing design!
(smile!)
 
After the play, the bfe brought me home, as he was not feeling very well.
But, along the drive, we talked of movies and Gene Wilder's name came up, as the physicist had recently seen "Charlie And The Chocolate Factory".
Very nice!
I told him I had a book of short stories that Wilder had penned, some of which were quite racy; would he be interested in reading it?
Most def he would!
Surprisingly, I managed to lay my hand right upon it almost immediately.
"What Is This Thing Called Love?"
He'd read the title aloud as I gave it to him.
(smile!)
I'll look forward to hearing what he thinks of the hopeful romantic's tales.

1 comment:

faustina said...

HAHAHA!
J-Dawg texted yesterday to say he'd had a case of deja vu while reading the jacket to the Wilder book.
Subsquently, we had a bit of a textversation about that phenomenon and reincarnation and links to the spirit world...
but, in the end, I think he realized that he was remembering me talking about the book back in summer of 2020, after I had been so enthralled with it during my bday62 celebration.
Funny how the memory works...
I'd painted such a vivid picture that it was ingrained in HIS memory!