Sunday, December 10, 2017

birthday miracle for Mama



Today, Mama would have been 80 years old.
What I had most wanted for this day was for me and my three brothers to be together today...
and, miracle that it was, we were!
Smitty and Mary had come by for me and we'd gone out to Greenwich Cemetery.
They had already placed a little tree by her marker - this time, silver and gold ornaments were added. Very nice!
We stayed out there for a little while, sharing remembrances of her, and of us as children.
When I asked if Smitty still had the phone I'd bought for Ronnie, he did, amazingly...
so off we went in search of our middle brother...
hoping for better luck in spotting him together than either of us had separately.
Smitty also called Tony, but his voicemail answered, so we both left a message.
And then it happened...
the miracle for Mama's birthday.
As Smitty drove slowly past the midtown Home Depot, there Ronnie was!!!
Smitty pulled over and Ronnie came up to the passenger side. We rolled down all windows to talk together, me and two of my brothers, all in each others company for the first time in more than two years.
As wondrous as that was, the miracle was not yet complete.
While we were all talking, Tony returned the earlier call!


With Tony
on the speaker phone
in the truck...


... and Ronnie
by the
passenger window...


... and Smitty
in the driver's seat...
and me in the back seat
behind him...
we were all together
in one space
...
for Mama's birthday.


I am so blessed to have had my wish granted for this day...
i thank You, God.

I love you, Mama.
Now, I'm going to enjoy some of this brilliant sunshine and prune some bushes.
(smile)
A bit of gardening, just as you would have done...
(smile)

4 comments:

blue-sky Penny said...


Penny Walker Bos
December 12 at 7:24am

Great to see your post and to know that you and your brothers were together in honor of your mom! I believe that she is watching over each of you with her loving and warm smiles!

outlaw Dee said...


Dee Smith Phillips
December 11 at 4:28pm

Hey Ronnie...Tina tell Ronnie I said hello and miss him too! Mostly, I'm just so exhilarated about this reunion.

Venita said...

Venita Johnson
December 10 at 5:08pm

Precious sweet family.

Donna said...


Donna Howard
December 10 at 10:04pm

Hey guys 💜💜💜💜