Tuesday, December 19, 2017

second thoughts


I was going to deposit Aunt Linda's check into my account, but I think I will simply return it to her instead.

I worked with Smitty on his taxes today and talked to him about the situation, with Tony calling her for money and then having her write to me on his behalf.
How did the topic arise?
Tony called Smitty while I was there, wanting Smitty to come over and take him somewhere.
He's been calling Smitty quite a bit, to ask for him to do this for him, or to buy that for him.
I told Smitty that Tony hasn't been calling me for such things.
Smitty was shocked to find out that, in fact, Tony hasn't called me since Thanksgiving.
Ever since Tony found out I was so poor, he has written me off.
I take that back - he does leave little comments on photos I post on facebook.
As for conversations, that isn't happening.

I reminded Smitty that Tony has rules he is supposed to be following at CTC.
There are rules that say no more stuff from outside CTC after that first care package with clothes.
Instead, Tony is wanting Smitty to buy him long johns and a coat and a phone card.
There are rules that say no visits with anyone except on weekends and national holidays.
Instead, Tony is wanting Smitty to come by and take him to lunch or take him to run errands.
There are rules that Tony is not to have more than twenty dollars a week for spending money.
Instead, Tony is wanting Smitty to come by and give him "ten or fifteen dollars" for who knows what.

Why hasn't Tony called me about these things?
Because he knows his Chinese-water-torture nagging won't work on me.
It vexed Mama greatly, as I told Smitty.
Smitty was shocked that Mama had caved to Tony's demands in order to make him stop nagging.
He had wondered how it was that Tony was able to get so much out of her...
and now he knows Tony is pulling the same technique on him.

I'll call Assistant Superintendent Locke tomorrow.
I want to make sure I understand the rules, the ones he himself told us last month.
I'm not trying to get my youngest brother in trouble...
I'm trying to make sure he doesn't go back to prison.

I'm proud of him for getting a job at Delta Metals. I don't know what kind of work it will be, but I know it will be preferable to twiddling thumbs at the Coastal Transitional Center all day.
I'm glad it's near the CTC, too, so he won't have to spend money on transport.

My concern, though, is that he is trying to run when he is supposed to be learning to walk.
I'll call tomorrow and talk with Mr. Locke, and perhaps also with Tony's counselor, Mrs. Barnes.
It'll give me some much-needed peace of mind and I can report back to Smitty what I learn.

Now, off to meet Kevin for 'Tina Tuesday', with dinner at El Potro, followed by "Star Wars: The Last Jedi" once more. (Yes, we just saw it on Thursday night with Carolyn, but it was late and he slept through part of it.)
Bye for now!

1 comment:

faustina said...

Oh, nice!
Kevin and I saw "Thor:Ragnarok" instead, him for the first time.
What a hoot! Such great dialogue!
:-)