Saturday, December 16, 2017

dining with carolyn


I know you wont believe it, but I was trying for a rhyme.
It obviously didn't happen, but it was close!
(smile)
You know I've been on about holiday meals, right?
Well, on Tuesday, as you already know, I went to see "Coco" with Carolyn.
We were both in tears afterward - such softies!

In need of bright lights and happy memories,
we headed off to Sweet Potatoes...
to find they have moved to the Toucan Cafe digs.
But look!
All of my favorite paintings had moved, too!
Isn't this sunflower magnificent?
And I was sitting such that I could look at it
the entire time we were there.

Carolyn had to make do with other paintings,
but she doesn't look any the worse for it, does she?
Not hardly!
Especially as we had dined quite nicely
and had a bright and cozy time together!
I love talking with her -
she has more stories than anyone I know.
Perhaps being 71 is the reason for that?
(smile)


As for tonight, I'd been ushering again at the Lucas, this time for "The Nutcracker" as interpreted by the Madeleine Walker Coastal Ballet Theater. Joe Buttner, Joe Montesimo, and Judy Williams were there with me - very nice!
This version of the classic was subtitled "Sweet Dreams" - how could I not be right there?
(smile - the bfe will get it!)
As it turns out, I actually knew one of the dancers! The Norman's daughter, Francie, was one of the Arabian "coffee" candies. I had seen Lindsay come in, but had not recognized her mom or her son - out of context, you know.
I also had the chance to talk with someone else from the mid-1990's trivia folk: Stacy! She's remarried now and had two daughters in the show! Miriam, 12 years old (like Francie), actually had two roles: as one of Clara's guests in glittery gold gowns and as one of the Nutcrackers soldiers. Her little sister, Aviva, was a sugar plum attendant.
How nice to have seen them tonight!

Afterward, I bounced to the Trustees for "It's A Wonderful Life" - the movie, not the play this time.
Carolyn and I walked off afterward with lots and lots
of chocolate bars and candycanes, bought for
a larger audience than were there.
(Merry Christmas to us and thanks, Katie!)
Hungry for dinner, we headed for
the warmth of Betty Bombers, still open.

I chose the Chili Lime Tacos,
knowing it to be plentiful -
and with plenty of chips, too -
cRuNCh!!!
We stayed until almost closing time,
talking about the movie
and the young folk who had
never seen it before -
i thank You, God, that I've been
blessed with this story for so long!

No comments: