Friday, December 8, 2017

holiday party with pirates!


I'm not kidding!
I know you think I am... but here's the absolute truth.
As you know, each December, the College of Science and Technology hosts a holiday party to salute us for making it through the fall semester.
This year, they took it up a notch.
The celebration was held at... wait for it... The Pirates' House!
No potluck casseroles and salads this time around!
Not this time.
Instead, CST had sprung for the Clipper Buffet, at more than fifty dollars per person.
Wow.
Crab-stuffed flounder, salmon croquettes, fried popcorn shrimp, huge boiled shrimp, crab & shrimp au gratin, grilled sausage -
mixed greens salad, pasta salad, coleslaw -
corn on the cob, potato wedges, hoppin' john -
and for dessert, sweet potato pie squares topped with chocolate mousse, banana pudding, and key lime pie.
Wow.
None of the faculty or staff, past or present, had to pay anything at all. Those who wished to bring a spouse were only asked for a $25 fee.
Wow.
At the end of the party, we all went home with beautiful plaques which were engraved with the Armstrong Alma Mater.


As you see, mine is resting on my entertainment center.
I don't know if it will mean much to anyone who isn't an alumnus, like I am.
Bonafide Pirate, through and through, that's me!
Then again, maybe the plaque will hold a charm for those who taught there at the southside location of Armstrong State College, back in 1968. Folks like Cedric Stratton, for example.

In fact, here he is, talking with John Brewer, one of my favorite chemistry professors from my student days!
To the back, that's Todd Hizer, who will probably retire in a couple of years.

Here he is again, showing a letterhead to Yvonne Roach, who graduated from ASC with me.
Todd is behind her and John Brewer is to Cedric's left.
Behind Cedric, that would be my favorite physics prof from my youth, Morris Whiten. Oh, the crush I once had on that man!

These three women are current-day colleagues.
Donna Mullenax, to the left, is with physics.
Cathy MacGowan, a Michigander, is a couple of years older than me.
Lea Padgett, on the right, is clearly much younger than any of the rest of us.
That young man behind her is her husband, Cliff, with Brent Feske in the rear.

Here, we see Cliff again, as a continuation of the previous photo.
In front of him is Pete Zipperer, the man who taught CHE121, CHE122, and CHE201 alongside me, back in the 1990's and up to his retirement about 6 years ago.
Delana Nivens, in the red top and red hair, is the Dean of CST and was the host tonight.
And then we see Yvonne, Cedric, and Todd again.

Now, lest you think chemistry and physics
were the only topics represented,
here's a face you may recall -
my former calculus teacher, John Findeis!
It's always fun to see him!
And that's Suzy Carpenter bending his ear...
or maybe receiving one of his jokes!


What a lovely evening - I'm so glad Cedric was there, too!
He sat with me, as did my office-mate, Karen Evans and her husband John.
What a wonderful way to begin this weekend of events!

No comments: