Sunday, January 6, 2019

on a jur-RAWR-sic quest!

Don't chew people, Jojo!
I can't help but think of a promo for a new movie
when I say that!
I also think of a Beatles tune, because the 'trainer'
kept saying, "Get back, Jojo!"
(smile)
I much preferred Diego, though, in the
adolescent dinosaur show.
He may not have been Di Light, but he
certainly was delightful!
He was such a sweetie that everyone
around the ring was able to have a turn
at petting him - and I did!
Here's my hand, rubbing on his cheek!
Moments later, I was patting him on
his head, between his crests.
What fun!
Yes, I knew it was a person inside that
costume, but I suspended disbelief -
I chose to believe the magic of the moment!
(smile)
I know it looks like I was touching
this fossil, but I was not...
that's the magic of the staging I did
with this photo!
That's a plaster cast of a real fossil,
with some tiny dinosaurs that didn't
manage to escape their eggs in time.
I am really holding this plaster cast
of a marine-life fossil, though.
That's because I made it!
Yes, that's right - I made it!
In fact, every one of us made one
of these to take home.
That's because the site had this awesome
'Science Station" as one of the hands-on
activities for everyone to do.
How cool is that?!
It was easy enough for me to do, too.
First, I grabbed a cup with 'mud' in it.
Next, I chose the fossil I wanted to have
imprinted into that mud.
Then, plaster was poured onto the impression.
Thirty minutes later, my memento was done!
(smile!)
That was easy enough the littlest girl
was even able to do it.
(smile)
However, she had trouble digging out the
fossils embedded in this rectangular block.
"Here, let Momma show you how."
So, the littlest girl took the pointy
stick and had a go at that hard block.
I even helped, to get a hole started,
but it was slow, s-l-o-w, S--L--O--W.
That's when Momma took that block and
threw it on the floor a few times.
That certainly was a big help!
Now, the two fossils inside could actually
be seen, giving her a target for her dig!
I helped again, loosening up the plaster
around the objects, so she could get them.
And get them she did!
"All done!", she proclaimed moments later.
I'm glad she had that special activity
bracelet for this archeological exercise!
Otherwise, I would have missed out on
this special time with the littlest girl.
I'm glad, too, that my first niece had let me
know they had this special outing today.
Not only was Christina and Miyah there,
but so were Chris and his son, Christian, Jr.
That's CJ's bookbag in the lower right as he
is saving a table for us to have a nosh.
(smile!)
And just where had we gathered?
At Jurassic Quest, a traveling exhibit that
was in town for just three days.
What a plethora of dinosaurs!!!
Most were animatronic, except those used in
the hourly shows, those like JoJo and Diego.
It was just like I would imagine it would be to
step onto the "Jurassic World" movie sets!
For the bargain price of only twenty dollars,
I had three hours with family -
and easily could have stayed much longer -
and that was priceless.
Now, I have to bop over to the JEA to join
mi tres amigas for a CinemaSavannah event -
a one-time only screening of "Shoplifters".
Hope I get there in time!


i thank You, God, for this blessing!

3 comments:

faustina said...

Just to catch you up:

Yes, I made it to the movie in time! Carolyn and Barbara joined me there (2 of 3 tres amigas ain't bad, as Meat Loaf would say), then we headed over to Bella's for dinner.
I had not wanted to go there, but they did, so I relented. Then I had the Chicken In A Bag and it was utterly divine! Good idea!

F-grrl said...

Songs heard on my way to meet Christina at the show:

Jefferson Starship - "Find your way back"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj4gqJzlIvc

Queen - "Keep yourself alive"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JofwEB9g1zg

Blind Faith - "Can't find my way home"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTJYkjrg594

Just what I needed, when I needed it -
i thank You, God.

faustina said...

Incredibly, dinosaur fossils are STILL being discovered!!!
Here's a story about one found by a 12-year-old boy in Canada!

https://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2020-54547987