Monday, July 16, 2018

faces with elvis


Here is the young man I spent
every night with before bed,
to ensure my dreams would be
the sweetest!
Yes, even though he was on
the stage and I was on the
dance floor there at Roxy's
Lounge, we both knew we were
in tune with each other.
Victor Trevino, Jr.,
33 years old...
"You Can Leave Your Hat On" -
the bed, the floor, anywhere!
(smile!)

Much as I love Victor, this here is the hunka-hunka-burnin-love that has inflamed my thoughts ever since
I first saw him in 2016.
He was the headliner in the evening show on March 11th and I swear...
I swooned in my fifth-row seat.
I had to put on my glasses to convince myself he was not Elvis.
Ryan Pelton, 44 years old now, was in the elevator because he had forgotten something he needed for the show in Vegas... and he took my heart with him that night.

I had never met this ETA before, but I've grown to really enjoy him.
Not only is he good as The King of Rock and Roll, but he also does a simply fabulous "Queen of Rock and Roll" - you know I'm talkin' 'bout Sir Elton John!
That versatility meant that he was featured in a show every day in this Las Vegas Elvis Festival.
Four headliner shows in four days.
Good thing that Dwight Icenhower was only 37, or he'd not have enough energy for all that and guest songs at Roxy's at night!

Nope, your eyes are not playing tricks on you!
I was definitely in the right place, right time for a truly unique encounter with the man famous as "The Black Elvis", having claimed that title in Memphis in 2003.
He's also incredible as The Godfather of Soul, James Brown, and sang "I Feel Good" just the way I like my "Happy Song"!
Robert Washington will celebrate his 60th on August 16th - hope it's wonderful, like mine has been!

Here I am with the youngest entertainer of the festival, a man who is a third of my age.
I'm being absolutely serious.
Taylor Rodriguez will be 21 years old in the middle of December.
No wonder that he told me he was missing his family in Virginia!
My guess is he didn't need much make-up to portray Elvis of that same age, but maybe a little bit when he portrayed Ritchie Valens (who died at 18).
He was excellent in his three shows - so much energy and freshness!

I was there, two years ago in Brunswick, when this Brazilian won the competition.
Later that same year he was crowned King.
Now, he was a headliner in two shows and was present at Roxy's every night - such a delight!
He's also quite a treat as Engelbert Humperdinck - maybe it's those "Spanish Eyes"?
Whoever he is portraying, 37-year-old Diogo "Di" Light is one of the sweetest guys ever!

This fellow has a singing wife - Stephi - who was given some solo show time.
He referred to them as "Beauty & The Dork" during his Buddy Holly songs - lol!
I'd never seen Dean Z, but he has quite a following, as I waited over an hour for this photo.
No real surprise, though.
This charismatic 40-year-old has been doing Elvis' moves since he was a toddler and first saw him on a tv special in 1981!

Yes, I realize that he does not look like Elvis... but just listen to his voice and watch his movements.
Ted Torres is on the same level of overall talent as Ryan Pelton.
He sings, acts on stage and in film, writes, and composes.
He was first lured to the Elvis world when he saw "Jailhouse Rock" at 12 years old and is in his early 40's now, near as I can tell.
With his musical and theatre background, he really does put on an excellent show!

Don't let the black hair on his head fool you - he's at least my age!
He paid tribute to Sir Tom Jones
and is credited with encouraging other ETAs to give voice to other artists at the Elvis shows.
Former ETA Irv Cass, winner of the Ultimate title in 1999, has been serving as the emcee for Sherry Management's Elvis Festivals.
He was one of those featured in the 2001 "Almost Elvis" film and can be seen promoting it here.

So, what on Earth is this about?
Well, the Elvis Tribute Artist from England showed up for the one show he was in and didn't hang around for photos afterward.
However, Ben Portsmouth did do something none of the others did: he gave out scarves!
This white one was literally thrown directly at me as he performed "I love You So" -
Thank you, my 40-year-old sir!
I'm glad you enjoyed my dancing to your music on the stage!

Oh, and isn't my new purse gorgeous?
I had decided to buy a travel bag for my clothes, as my carry-on started shredding its wheels while I was in the Savannah airport. Oh, no!!!
I didn't trust that 17-year-old piece of luggage to get me to Sam's Town on public transportation. Instead, I had brought my clothes in the plastic bag from the Qdoba in the ATL airport.
(No one at Sam's Town even batted an eyelash at that. LOL!)
None of the vendors at the Las Vegas Elvis Festival had a carry-on bag with Elvis decor, sadly.
However, one had this lovely large purse, complete with the man's signature...
and crisp black-and-white photographs of the man in 1956...
just like the ones taken by Alfred Wertheimer...
the ones I had visited three times during their stay at the Jepson Center.
Woohoo! To paraphrase James Brown, mama's got a brand-new bag!

i thank You, God, for these talented people and for this glorious music and for allowing me to be here to dance, dance, dance!

No comments: