Thursday, April 4, 2019

30th smf, day eight

No semicircle of a stage at the Lucas Theatre this evening.
Instead, Andersson Dance, of Stockholm, required a crisp rectangle with clear edges.
After all, they would be dancing with members of the Scottish Ensemble string orchestra, of Glasgow, and some fancy footwork would be occurring by both parties.
Don't mistake the colorful items for instruments, as I did.
Those are dance accessories!
The music, playing partner for all present, was Bach's Goldberg Variations, all thirty of them.
Fortunately for all the dancers and musicians, each piece is rather brief, so the entire performance lasted circa seventy-five minutes.
Again, that's fortunate, as there was no break or intermission.
I had long anticipated this evening, making it the second priority on my volunteer list.
It was all I had hoped it would be!
Oh, to have joined them on the stage tonight for a few bends and spins and steps in their "ternary patterns for insomniacs"!
By the way, I think I have figured out that title.
Ternary patterns refer to a musical form which consists of a first portion ("A") which matches the third section, with a somewhat different portion ("B") intervening.
Evidently, that specific phrase was meant as an inside joke for 'those in the know' about musical structures.
(smile)
What about the insomniacs reference?
Well, honestly, musicians wouldn't be counting sheep, now would they?
(smile)
That's a deliciously clever joke, y'all!
I appreciate that bit of wit!
(smile!)

1 comment:

faustina said...

This birthday60 gift would have cost me $67.
Instead, I served as an Orchestra Right Usher - which left me free to enjoy the entire program of thirty suites with dance.
Bravo!