Tuesday, April 23, 2019

just what i needed

I do so appreciate these little nudges from
the universe to reassure me that I am in
the right place at the right time.
This odometer reading, 206050, was from Thursday.
I had noticed it after the movie, just before
going to join Carolyn at Applebee's for our own
little "javaflicks" talk.
(smile)

My car's mileage was at 206060 on Saturday.
Where had I been?
Well, since my outing on Thursday, I'd been home.
No movies, no meetings with anyone, just "in".
Partly the weather was to blame, as it had chilled.
Again.
After I had already opened the sunroom.
Nevertheless, on Saturday, I had thrown myself out
of the house to get the car gassed for the trip north.
The odometer reading arrived just as I was pulling into
the gas station.
This odometer reading - 206206 -
greeted me as I was almost to the Prouty house
for the Easter dinner.
Perhaps it was letting me know that I was almost
too late for the meal with everyone.
I had been told 1 PM, but they had begun quite a bit
earlier, since "everyone" was there.
I had arrived as all were finishing up.
My thanks, Jenny, for your help in fixing me a plate
and finding me a place to sit at the table.)
At least this bunny was "hoppy" to see me!
Jenny is to thank for that cake, too.
Bonnie and Howard were there from Tallahassee,
and so were sister Becky's son and his family
(Chris, Charitie, Iralynn, and baby Dawson).
Terrie and Mike had returned from her 40th
birthday trip to Key West, too.
But the children - Jenny's Lucas and Julie -
and the egg hunt were the high point for me.
The trip was a welcome distraction from my thoughts of Jean Marie.
She would have been thirty-three, had she not taken her life two years ago.
Part of me had not recognized that Easter was falling on her birthday this year.
It wasn't until "CBS Sunday Morning" aired a story on missing children that my conscious mind made the connection.
Teardrops in my coffee...
I had almost not gone to Augusta.
I'm glad I did, though.

For Thanksgiving, Bev and Alan will be enjoying the Northern Lights in Iceland.
If I had not gone for Easter, then it would be more than a year between visits.
She'll be retiring from teaching after next summer.
She has this summer, the school year, and then next summer before she's d-o-n-e.
She's looking forward to not grading papers, too.
(smile)

Last night, I threw myself out of the house, with
the help of Carolyn and Barbara.
They'd planned an outing for Indian food and
an Indian movie and Carolyn had pretty well
insisted I come along.
Thank you, dear!
This Mulgatani soup from Naan Appetit really hit
the spot with all of us teen dost!
(That's "tres amigas" in Hindi, y'all.)
The Channa Masala was superb, too, very tasty
and quite spicy - perfect with plain naan!
I always try the House Specialties and this was exactly what I needed to jolt me out of my doldrums!
In fact, the entire evening was just what I needed.
The movie, "Kalank", was pretty people making poor decisions - in other words, pure soap opera, but with singing and dancing!
Delightful - and a marvelous trip out of my head.
Who could ask for anything more?
I'm pretty sure Barbara would be in agreement.
Last night, she finally received the coffee mug I had made in early March for her and Sandy to commemorate our trip to North Carolina.
Two of the three (get the joke?) on the mug were from our day on Grandfather Mountain.
The third photo is just me, with that Banner elk.
(smile)


This morning, I used my NC mug for my breakfast coffee!
Inspired by the Naan Appetit meal, I browned three rectangles of tofu, then smothered them with beaned-up turkey chili that I made earlier this week.
(I had been craving hot dogs with chili after the impromptu Thursday outing with my first niece and her girl. Trying to stay mindful of WW guidelines, I had chosen two Hormel varieties, one low-fat vegetarian and the other with no beans. Oddly, they were both the same number of Smart Points.)
I like that recipe name I created: beaned-up turkey chili.
Perhaps it was mindful of the nearing May the Fourth.
Sounds to me like something an irked Spock would have to say about an odd bird from a cold planet, thawing on the teleport pad!
(smile)

No comments: