Sunday, April 14, 2019

weird like me movies


In truth, I'd like to think I'm maybe not quite as odd as these characters...
I'd like to think so...
but, that's not really for me to determine.
Or is it?
Anyway, these two movies were seen in close proximity - in time, not space - and that increased their impact.
"Border" had been a film I'd voted to see for JavaFlix Savannah. It had seemed to be a "beauty and the beast" style of fantasy film, the ones I find so exquisite, making it exactly my cup of tea.
(Yes, that's a reference to the fairy tale I so adore.)
I had been mistaken about its theme, though.
The border official with the other-worldly sense of smell was not human, but a troll. She had no idea that she was not human until she met another who was similar in appearance to her. The movie dealt with society's general understanding of gender differences and the concepts of inhumanity and nonhuman, and did so quite well. In fact, those topics led to a quite lively post-film discussion in the church's community room.
I had very much enjoyed the movie and the discussion, but I was in the minority. Of the other ten people there, only two would have seen it again.
That was yesterday afternoon.
Last night - pretty much right after that event was over - I had bounced back from downtown to catch a movie as a nightcap, so to speak. What better movie than one in a similar vein, tyō sahi chaina?
Why the Nepalese version of my usual French phrase?
Well, that's to accentuate the amount of time that "Missing Link" spends in the Himalayas, searching for someone/something that is weird like Susan, aka Mr. Link.
Sounds like another case of confusing gender roles, doesn't it?
Yes, it certainly does.
Did she/he find another like her/him in the world of the yeti?
No, sadly, all she/he found there was prejudice and misunderstanding.
Well, considering how the other character fared in "Border", that was all for the best.
Perhaps, one day, that little checkbox and the rainbow-hued alphabet soup it has engendered will no longer be an issue.
Then, people will be humans, just another species of animal, as they always have been.
Hey, a girl can dream...

1 comment:

faustina said...

JavaFlix Savannah is no more.
Although a May event had been planned, it fell through and the group has disbanded.
The event became too expensive to keep afloat.
Ah, well, it was just a matter of time.
Patrick, its founder, has moved to Jacksonville and become married and a homeowner there.
I'm so glad he'd founded this group just when I'd needed it in my life and that I've had it for so many years.
i thank You, God.