Sunday, May 19, 2019

bibimbap with peacocks and a green dolphin

That first item?
I'd be willing to bet you've never had it before!
The Sentient Bean had concocted this dish from sticky black rice, carrots, radishes, kale, cucumbers, and mushrooms, with a sunnyside egg topping it off.
Not for me, though - mine had their fabulous bbq tofu in its stead.
Magnificent fare!
No, this is not a photo of that.
My phone stayed home when I went out for the day, so I have no pictures to share, sadly.
That mass of eighty blue tickets snaking over the floor is my memento from the fundraiser.
Of the four prizes raffled off, I won none... but I did spend the evening with Ken and Mike and Sandy and Joyce and Bonnie and Don and Hai and Jim... and the honoree, Carolyn, of course!
P.S. I was right about the movie!
(smile!)
I had gone straight to the 'Bean after the monthly jazz concert from the CJA. It was over at the Ben Tucker Pavilion, across the Savannah River, and was, fortunately, not as crowded as the last one I attended. That was good, as I was a bit late!
I arrived just in time for the last number from their first set and the raffle during intermission. But I caught almost all of their second set, dancing through each song! I think Tom Scott, the renowned saxophonist, truly did appreciate that!
(smile!)
Actually, I know he did, since he kept looking at me and smiling!
So did the bassist and drummer for Howard Paul's band!
(smile!!)
Business Meetin' led off their second set and it was rather lively! Then came "On Green Dolphin Street", from the movie, which was definitely trickier, as its tempo kept changing. Not so with Victor Feldman's "The Chant"! I very much liked it! Sonny Rollins' "Oleo" sounded like another I would have loved for dancing, but maybe some other time, y'all!
(smile!)
Now then, you know where I went from there, as I've started this post in reverse chronology.
But where had I come from that I'd missed most of the first set?
Well, I was having my Sunday adventures at downtown locations.
That first stop on my day's itinerary had been for something literary.
(See what I did there? Rhymes to bring a smile!)
The Flannery O'Connor Childhood Home was hosting "A Muster of Peacocks", an event I'd never, ever attended, even though I'd been a member in the past.
I'm so glad I was there and I look forward to sharing this group with Kevin!
He has begun writing a graphic novel, featuring a dwarf called Hearthstone. Over the past few weeks, he's shared the progress of the art, storyboards, and plot lines. Last Tuesday, after seeing "Tolkien", we adjourned to his place so he could show me a video he'd made with the pieces and some medieval metal music.
(Yes, I'm aware of the old line about "come up and see my paintings, wink wink, nudge nudge." This was not about that. Don't make it weird!)
So... where was I... ah, yes, Peacocks!
No, not those, silly rabbit.
These are the members of the Peacock Guild, a rather diverse collection of local writers who have banded together for the past decade to help each other write better.
When I say diverse, I mean just that. With a wide range of ages and cultural backgrounds, their works ran the gamut.
Consider "Haint Blues" and "Fear Eyes" and "A Letter To My Niece". The first was a third-person voice about a woman steeped in Gullah, the second was told from the point of view of a 10-year-old boy moved to a new town and new school who was facing down a monster, and the third was sharing family history through an enlightened perspective.
Then there was the tale of a new priest administering to a conspiracy-theory Nevada man, a laugh-out-loud-sexy bit between an aging rock drummer and the bassist's daughter, and the father of a two-year-old trying to get the pacifier into the grasp of the Paci Pirate - those were all quite hilarious!
One of the readers was a friend I'd lost track of a few years back, when her husband was needing a kidney transplant. I made sure to go up and say howdy to Dawn Cordray so that won't happen again!
(smile!)
Then, I had a very pleasant surprise!
Yesterday, I'd been to the FOCCH website, as I knew they were fundraising with the Savannah Bananas. I purchased a ticket for that June 6th game, then also renewed my membership.
I was planning to come by this next week to pick up the ticket.
Instead, Cody walked up, smiling, envelope in hand, and told me she had guessed I would be present for the readings, so she had already prepared the goods for me!!!
She is certainly on top of her game!
Thank you for saving me that extra trip!
(smile!)

No comments: