Sunday, March 24, 2019

cuban cowboys of...charleston?

Well, yes, actually.
That's how they bill themselves, so who am I -
fliss of kickstarter -
to quibble over monikers?
If Gino Castillo and the band prefer to be known as
GC and the Cuban Cowboys, that works for me!
A rose by any other name..., right?
In this case, I can state that the Afro-Cuban jazz
being laid down would still sound as bright and lively
had they chosen any other band name.
They were at the Ben Tucker Pavilion for a CD Debut concert hosted by the CJA and I was there for my free - i.e., prepaid with my membership dues - concert.
What a super-packed event it was, too!
The CD sold out before the show even began!
Great dancing music in between the solos, too.
Glad I had a tiny bit of floor carved out for that!

I only stayed for the first hour of the concert.
When they broke for intermission, I took my leave.
I'd already had a marvelous Sunday out!
At noon, I had met in Bluffton with my stepmom,
the ever-delightful Bonnie, for lunch and a movie!
It's been a while since I had that pleasure.
This time, it was at an old favorite that has changed
its menu for the worse.
So long, Cheeseburger Cheeseburger.
Conner didn't seem to mind the missing items.
He was just happy to be out and about!
Plus, all of the interest was on him this time, as
new-teen brother Merritt had opted to stay home.
Amazing how much calmer a visit this was with no vying for attention by two boys!
"Wonder Park" was the movie selected as part of his belated birthday celebration and he sat calmly right between me and Bonnie!


And just how does this Elvis lunchbox figure into the day's merriment?
It was a gift, to me, from Conner.
He had seen it on a shopping expedition at a thrift store and had told his Grandma Bonnie that he was buying it for his Aunt Tina.
Wow...
that really touched my heart.
I do believe this eleven-year-old is growing up to be a wonderful man.
i thank You, God.

1 comment:

faustina said...

It was September of 2018 when I re-joined the Coastal Jazz Association.
How do I remember that?
I was at the Lucas Theatre and wrote about it!

https://beachwalksoffaustina.blogspot.com/2018/09/revisiting-favorites.html

Good thing I have scattered such things on my beach!
(smile!)