Wednesday, February 2, 2022

from a groundhog to pigs in space

I've been keeping tabs on the "Premium Channels" button of "On Demand", sure that someone, somewhere, would grace me with "Groundhog Day".
Nothin' doin'.
Quite disappointing, I must say.
The weather was reasonably warm (mid-60's), so the first order of the day was laundry.
Bear in mind that task took a while, as this was the first time I've washed clothes this year; I had three loads of regular wash, plus a load of sheets.
Rather than the usual 90 minutes, this batch took two hours.
I'd thought to take in an A*List movie, but I'd missed the start time.
Fine.
I'd have some po' girl ceviche and see if I could locate the Bill Murray flick on youTube.
After five or six false starts - each of which wanted me to click on a "blue link" and create a new user ID so I could watch the "free" movie they had - I finally landed on a site that that done a work-around.
Oh, goodie!
Thanks, Bruce Huang, for taking the time to do all of that editing!
He had a list of "film clips" that made a coherent-enough plot line to be a satisfactory telling of the tale of the two Phils in Punxatawney.
Even with random subtitles and ads, it was still a watchable, though abbreviated, movie.
Yes, most definitely the compilation was a satisfactory scratching of my mental itch!
With that mission accomplished, what about a trip to the cinema?
It's been a while since I went to a movie at night.
The afternoon matinees are less populated, so I prefer those...
but it's been a while since I've completed an A*List dance card.
Partly it's the fault of AMC.
What a drought of new movies to the silver screen!
With the Oscars soon approaching, I'd thought they'd be only to glad to trot back out some of those nominated for another run, as well as showing some the local cinemas had missed.
Nope, and nope.
So, having already seen the lone new one this week, my choices were movies I'd already seen (as well as a horror flick I'll gladly omit).
The winner, viewed for the fourth time (or perhaps the fifth?), was "Sing 2", first viewed December 28th.
This time, I made note of the incredible art work done: the gossamer transparency and breezy flow of the lace shawl worn by Nana, the steam lazily spiraling up from Clay Calloway's cup of hot tea, the spinning wheels of the roller skates on the rainbow-hued dancing flamingoes.
Wow.
And, as always, I cried at two key moments.
The first was when Ash was on the porch steps, singing "Stuck In a Moment You Can't Get Out Of", and the still-grieving Clay comes out and sits beside her, signalling for her to finish the song.
Yeah, that one really gets me.
The second bout of tears was again with an encounter between the porcupine and the lion, this time for "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For", with the "Out Of This World" audience echoing back the refrain.
I keep thinking about encouraging my ex to see this movie.
Yes, even though it's animated, even though its target audience isn't men in their 50's.
He's a long-time fan of U2 and Bono.
Yes, I think I'll refer him to it anyway.
He probably even knows why the Irishman agreed to be in this movie.
Now, though, it's time for Sam Beckett to leap into a Bogart-esque detective!
It isn't "Casablanca", but this "Quantum Leap" into 1953 has gorgeous clothes and hairstyles, as well as rather nifty dialogue.
Definitely a favorite!
(smile)

No comments: