Monday, February 21, 2022

dare i eat a peach?

"Is that fruit on the list of things you can't eat now?"

Not that I'm aware. Besides, it isn't the actual food I'm talking about, or even anything to do with dining. It's more of a T.S. Eliot thing.

"So... it's an activity? That you're trying to decide whether to do or not?"

Exactly. The Savannah Music Festival will run from March 24 through April 9. The slots for volunteers will be opening this weekend.

"I understand. You have lost the last two years of international music to the rampant tides of the COVID pandemic and you were hoping to immerse yourself into its depths again."

Exactly. I need to feel like a busy, vibrant, woman instead of like an old person. Having atrial fibrillation, and not yet knowing what lies in store with that new diagnosis, has certainly made me feel much more like the latter and not my preferred self.

"Why not sign up for working the events anyway?"

Because my appointment with the cardiologist isn't until March 10. I'm sure he will assess how the medications are working for me and decide then what more is needed.

"Again...why not sign up for working the events anyway?"

Because I may not be able to work any of it, that's why. 

"Yes, but you may be able to. Why not sign up for working the events anyway?"

Hmmm... you may be onto something.

"Exactly. Why not sign up for working the events anyway? Others have done so in previous years and had to back out. In fact, that's how you've picked up some pretty choice assignments, including some you had not even considered before."

That's very true. Like that concert that featured the music of Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs. The Earls of Leicester - that's what that band called itself. Hey, maybe it was the universe that had me tune in to "The Beverly Hillbillies" today! You know, they wrote the theme song and were on the show to sing it to Jed.

"Right place, right time. There are no coincidences. You were there, on that channel, at that time, for a show you rarely watch, for a reason. Why not sign up for working the events anyway?"

Okay, I will.

"Most excellent. That will give you something to look forward to."

Thanks. I really need that.

"I know, dear. Just three more months, and change, until this bday64-1 will be done. The bulk of it is over."

i thank You, God.

3 comments:

faustina said...

How frustrating.
I spent a good deal of time going through the schedule for the Savannah Music Festival, making my list and checking it twice.
Then, at the stroke of 6:00 PM, I was already logged into the site for the volunteers to select which shows to work.
I'm telling you, I was ready!
And it didn't do me any good.
Only the first two days (March 24 and 25) had any shows with open listings.
All the other dates, all the way through April 9, were booked solid.
I don't get it.
I signed up for one of the open shows, a noon30 one, and then double-checked and triple-checked.
Nope, only those two dates in March were taking volunteers.
How very disappointing.

faustina said...

Good news!!!
When I checked my email, I found one from the SMF folks, apologizing for the snafu yesterday.
It was now all fixed, they said.
So, I checked it out... and it was all fixed!
All the dates and all the different artists were on the lists as they should be!
So, I snapped up the SEVEN shows I was most wanting, then bowed out.
No need to be greedy!
Plus, I'll need to see how those fare before I make any other claims.
Here's hoping for the best!

faustina said...

Yesterday, I was to have worked my first volunteer shift for this year's SMF.
It was a noon30, and nice way to get my wet feet, so to speak, after two years stuck in a pandemic.
Sadly, I canceled the gig earlier this week.
I had contacted Therra, the volunteer coordinator this time around, and explained to her about the atrial fibrillation and the upcoming surgery and all that.
She was very understanding and has canceled the rest of the shifts I had signed up for.
Hopefully, next year...
I miss being a volunteer.