Monday, February 14, 2022

pink, but not valentine candy

The wind of change is blowing, but I doubt seriously that the Scorpions would have envisioned it quite like this.
That's right, I'm calling them out on this latest round of changes in my life.
I wonder how they would have liked having to exchange one royal blue capsule for two little pink ones?
That's what I've had to do.
I know, that doesn't sound like it would be such a big deal, but stay with me.
The one royal blue capsule - Ramipril - was taken once a day, along with breakfast, for my mild case of hypertension.
Did it matter when I ate that first meal?
Not in the least!
So, whether I dined on breakfast or called the meal brunch, whether it was at 9 AM or noon or 2 PM, none of that was of importance... only that I remembered to take that one pill.
Easy peasy!
Not so with these two new medications.
The Metoprolol - that would be the round one with the decidedly pink hue, on the right - demands to be taken twice a day and must be consumed with food.
Moreover, the two doses should be taken at breakfast and at dinner, which calls for a nine-hour interval between them.
Seriously.
I'm not kidding.
Of course the times they suggested were not pertinent to my life... like, at all.
So, I made the best choices for my schedule, meaning I must take the round, pink, pill at 10:30 AM and then at 7:30 PM.
Seriously.
What about the other candy-hued morsel?
Well, that one is an anticoagulant called Eliquis.
That one little oval costs $10.91... and I have to take two per day.
Seriously.
The 30-day prescription cost $654.95, but I caught a break; the manufacturer has a coupon that allows a one-time "free" for new patients.
(My thanks to the Publix pharmacist for catching that and printing the coupon for me.)
I can only hope that the VA has access to the generic version for me.
And what's this about needing to take it twice daily?
No worries!
I'll just take it at the same time as the other new drug!
No.
They cannot be taken simultaneously.
Seriously.
Moreover, the orangish ovals must be taken twelve hours apart.
Seriously.
Plus, the first oval should be an hour after the first round pink one.
Seriously.
So, I am now letting a clock rule my life.
I really hate that.
I do hope that may change when I see the doctor next month.
After all, I'm retired...
which means not tied to a clock...
and being tied to one again is wearing me out.
Time for a nap.

No comments: