Sunday, February 13, 2022

anatomy of a shower

 1: Be sure to have something at hand for drying off.

 2: Start the hot water tap and the cold water tap, then turn on shower.

 3: Take off any clothes you are wearing and place them on floor or elsewhere.

 4: Pull back the shower curtain, then, carefully step into the tub.

 5: Move into the shower spray, then adjust temperature as needed.

 6: Turn around in the spray, making sure all of the body gets moistened.

 7: Apply soap and lather up, being sure to clean all parts of the body.

 8: Rinse thoroughly, turning around in the spray to make sure all soap is removed.

 9: Turn off the shower, then turn off the hot and cold water taps.

10: Pull back the shower curtain and grab the towel.

11: Dry off your face an arms, then dry the chest and abdomen before drying the back.

12: Next, dry off the legs and feet and buttocks, then step out of the tub.

13: Put on panties/underwear, then get dressed.

*****

Please note that the steps have been abbreviated and that substeps could be added.

Each and every one of those steps requires the performance of some action.

That means each and every one of those steps requires a good deal of breath.

Ordinarily, the little routine is performed with nary a thought of those separate steps.

One simply decides to take a shower and does so.

Well, I am here to say that all it takes is a breathing issue to turn a shower into an utterly exhausting physical procedure.

By the time I was done with the water part yesterday, I was ready to sit and catch my breath - but I could not, as I still needed to get dry.

I have a new understanding of the problems my stepdad faced in the performance of simple tasks, after he had to deal with COPD.

I remember that Mama had bought him a terrycloth robe for his showers.

All he had to do was step into it, and step over to a chair, then catch his breath while the thirsty fabric removed the water from his body.

Well, my bathrobe is a thick, lavender, cotton, bought from Parisian so many years ago.

I think it will do very well as a breath-saver for me on shower days.

Thanks, Mama and Frank, for the suggestion.

No comments: