Wednesday, February 9, 2022

vltat: hit me, baby, one moas time!

"A work with this identical composition has listed at auction signed 'B. Hernandez''. This work - like other artwork representing iconic Florida subjects such as citrus fruit and alligators - was probably created to be sold to tourists. Like European artwork sold to those on the Grand Tour to verify their travels, so these works allowed the owner to claim adventurer status."
 
Well, whaddaya know 'bout that?
This anonymous piece, determined to have been created in the early 20th century and procured by Cici and Hyatt Brown in 1960, has found a space on a museum wall solely by dint of it being of Florida in scope.
Anonymous... and, yet, hanging in a fancy frame.
Reminds me of the Florentine bridge I bought for a song, now on my dining room wall.
(smile!)
Funny, I had not thought that purchase made me an adventurer; my being in Italy granted me that title, surely!
Especially as I was with folks I did not know!
(smile!)
 
Perhaps the fact that I was traveling solo once more stamped me as an adventurer, in which case, I've had that title for decades.
The above photo was from my visit Monday, between DRI's silver and gold prevarications and the bingo shenanigans.
Finishing the two rooms missed on the January trip felt like the right thing, and it was!
I had missed this sketch and oil painting by Harry Louis Freund.
Titled "Marker 71", it made a nice companion piece for my comparison and contrast studies.
(smile!)
Today, my attention was focused on the main building of MOAS and the Planetarium.
Most of the exhibits had changed.
For instance, the running dog was gone, replaced by "Ladies First: The Art Of Carlos Luna", which carried on the other's bright colors.
A Singer sewing machine was in two of the pieces, with this one talking of "hard years of my Mother" and the other featuring his Grandma deliberately ignoring the machine, as she preferred doing her stitching by hand.
Maybe I should break out the two sewing machines I have - one mine since before Panama, the other an inherited one from Mama - and see if I even remember how to thread them.
(smile!)

There were new pieces in the lobby and hall, too, marking the Annual Florida Artists' Group exhibit, this year having the theme "Florida Palette" and being as diverse as that environment.
One of my favorites was this one, no doubt because I liked its title: "Waiting For My Ship To Come In".
The three-dimensional nature of the work certainly added to my delight in it, drawing my fingers near, but not quite touching.
Very nice, Jane Jennings!
I do have to wonder if she has had pieces in this annual exhibit before, or if this was the first?
(smile!)
Still, I think it was "A Crack In The Moon: The Art Of Alette Simmons Jimenez" that spoke most to me on this visit. 
For instance, take this powder puff mobile that speaks of celestial objects in light, airy tones, suspended on gossamer from the heights.
There were even a couple of rocket ships wandering in the spaces between, inviting the viewer to explore along with them as they searched for life.
My fingers had to be repeatedly placed into my pockets to stop their quests to touch the fluff-looking spheres, to flick the dangling chains, to twirl the little ships.
Yes, I very much liked this exhibit!
(smile!)
And guess what?
It had a scientific basis for the name!
Mounted on the wall outside the room was this this gorgeous, egg-shaped, design, a-flutter with dragonflies and shimmer!
The plaque introduced the exhibit with the following.
"A Crack In The Moon's concept found an unexpected resonance in the following summary of a report from NASA: Cracks in the moon were recently discovered by scientists via an expansive survey or more than 12,000 lunar images. It has been revealed that the surface of the Moon is constantly cracking and shifting under stress. Just as the Moon's gravitational pull causes seas  and lakes to rise and fall on Earth, the Earth exerts the same forces on the Moon to the extent that Earth's pull opens fault lines on the Moon."
Pretty nifty, right?
I'll have to look that up some time on the NASA site.
Meanwhile, how about those Planetarium shows today!
Very nice!
Than, at 4 PM, there was a problem with one of the machines, so that meant the live show for "Hubble Universe" would not be possible...
so, that allowed us to see "For Earth To The Universe" instead!
Hooray!
Something new for me!
And now, I'm back at the condo and getting organized for tomorrow.
I'll see about emptying the fridge to minimize what I have to carry.
My shortness of breath has not improved, but I'm hoping the mild temperature by late morning will let me get out of here on time.
My goal is to drive straight through to the Savannah VA Center, in the hopes that they can help me get my lungs right.
Please, God, help me get home safely.

No comments: