Wednesday, February 16, 2022

why i can't go to the movies

Carolyn just called me to see if I wanted to join her at the cinema.
This is, apparently, the last evening that "Death On The Nile" will be on the Big D screen...
and we all know how much I love the Big D.
(wink wink, nudge nudge!)
I had to tell her I still feel too drunk to do that.
Even though I have not had a drop of alcohol since NYE, and even so, that was a tiny bottle of rose wine.
But, drunk is how I feel.
Absolutely, totally, wasted, stoned, high as a kite... but not in a good way.
I keep a low level nausea going from the dizziness and disorientation in my brain.
The last time I felt this way was after my second colonoscopy.
That was my first time with the "twilight anesthesia" that seems to be all the rage.
Honestly, I was s-t-o-o-p-i-d for over a week.
That's why, in 2016 when I had my third colonoscopy, I opted to forego the anesthesia.
That's also why, on that same trip in Charleston when I had the carpal tunnel surgery on my left hand, I opted for only the local anesthesia.
I had a much faster recovery from those two events.
Somehow, though, I had missed that I would be put into twilight time.
That's unfortunate.
I'm older now, so moving out from anesthesia is slower anyway, which does not bode well.
I may be well into next week before I can feel safe to drive my car home from the hospital's ER parking lot.
Damn.
Anyway, as I was saying, Carolyn called to see if I wanted to meet her for the movie.
"I can't," I replied, "I am still too drunk from the anesthesia last week."
And I was surprised that my brain had used the word "drunk"...
but that was exactly the right choice.
After all, I remember the opening night parties at the NCO Club that followed every play that A.C.T.O.R. put on for the troops in Okinawa.
Champagne would flow freely, with each of us getting our own bottle and me usually ending up with an extra from someone who didn't like the bubbly.
The thing is, here's the thing: I was in my early twenties.
I could still get up at 0600 for the day shift and be just fine.
Now, I'm still queasy and dizzy six days later.
Guess I'll keep moving slowly until it passes.
Getting older is definitely not for wienies.

No comments: