Tuesday, February 8, 2022

macbeth... and random acts of insanity

Who would have guessed that this episode of VLTAT would have two topics that go so very well together that they could be synonyms?
Certainly not I!
I certainly had not planned for the two to mesh so well...
I mean, not consciously, I mean...
so it must be the universe stepping in and setting it up, to see if I'd notice.
What a marvelous inside joke between me and the powers that be!
(smile!

First was the Shakespeare classic, one which always transports me back in time to Mrs. Thorne's senior English class.
This time, the story was told on the silver screen at Cinematique, in the form of the 2021 film, "The Tragedy Of Macbeth".
Denzel Washington played the title role, and did so very well, but the actor who most impressed me was Brendan Gleeson as good King Duncan, treated most foully.
I very much enjoyed Stephen Root's performance, too, as the Porter, adding a splash of mirth to the madness all around.
Afterward, I had only about an hour's break until my favorite Floridian improv troupe stormed the stage.
Not enough time to return to the condo, so why not a little walk?
I only got as far as the tobacco shop.
Rain was spraying gently, not enough for a soaking, but more than was needed to dampen and chill, especially on this cool night.
So, I stood in that alcove, humming to myself, watching others bustle hither and you.
Then... a young man walked by, singing!
And just what was that tune springing forth?
carry you into my arms, 
that's where you belong, 
in my arms, baby, yeah!"
Wow!!!
I tried to sing along, but couldn't seem to catch the right key.
Still, what a wonderful treat!
Not quite like having a poem created for me
but, still, such a treat!
RAI let me know my suggestions were appreciated, from the very first game of "99 ___ walk into a bar" to the dark and creepy "Press Conference" a little later.
There's Jenna, Andrew Ramos, Matt, and Danno (with an unseen Sam on the sidelines as emcee).
They took my word - "keys" - and came up with puns galore, such as "99 keys walk into a bar and it was off the chain", and "99 keys walk into a bar and they had rings" and "99 keys walk into a bar and they turned and locked up" - hahahaha!
Then, a couple of skits later, we came to the "Press Conference", with Jenna, Andrew, and Danno as reporters tossing out hint-laden questions to help Matt, the 'celebrity', determine just who he was and what it was he had done that made him famous.
'Shrek' said I, and someone else added 'Ghost', so he was 'Ghost Shrek and he had killed Baby Yoda'.
Like I said, pretty dark and creepy! LOL!
Another skit, then one of my favorites: "Three-Headed Opera Singer"!
(Odd Lot always did this as "Three-Headed Story Teller", but I like the addition of the music!)
This had all its input from Gary, a guy whose wife had volunteered him for "Fill In The Word" earlier.
So, just what did Gary do?
He had Jenna-Andrew-Matt (I like to think of them as JAM!) sing a love song to Barbara, about one of her favorite activities: skiing!
It really was a high point of the show!
Well, it was for me.
I like the more positive stuff, not the dark and creepy negative vibe.
For instance, the very last skit, a long-form story called "Grandpa's Attic", featured a pyramid of German skulls, a magical globe that seemed to do everything except restore people's ability to walk, and a yo-yo made of linen.
I know, that last item sounds pretty innocuous, but it was the reason Grandma couldn't walk.
I don't know how the grandson was able to keep his cool after these horror tales.
Then again... just because I don't care for that genre doesn't mean others feel the same.
From where I was in the back corner, the rest of the audience liked it.
Just know this: I left with a smile!
I had gone out front to congratulate the troupe on their show and one of them, Matt, made a point of coming out of the mix to chat one on one with me.
You know why?
He wanted to thank me for being a regular!
And how did he know I was?
Isn't that the coolest thing?!
(smile!)
Now, I'll have to remember that #RAI is on TwitchTV and see if I can catch them there.
(smile!)

No comments: