Tuesday, August 29, 2023

importance of weather news, sometimes

So, anyone who knows me at all knows I don't watch the news.

Period.

That's because most of what passes for news is scare-mongering or sensationalism or sexual escapades gone wrong.

Hey, they have to report what advertisers think folks want; I get that.

Bill have to be paid.


However, that means I missed important information about the weather.

Specifically, I missed knowing that Idalia had become a hurricane of interest for Savannah.

Sure, I had checked noaa.gov a few times over the weekend, but it seemed a nonissue.

I figured from its location that it would ride that west coast of Florida.

Wrong.

I had not realized it was assuming a breaching whale stance, as if it were copying the orcas in the Sea World Orlando shows.

That means it would be into Georgia in no time from when it made landfall.


After texts from the ex that encouraged me to go to Augusta, I checked when I got home.

That photo is straight from the NOAA website, from their 8 pm update, and is clear as day. 

Hurricane Idalia is on her way, and she's making speed to do so.

At least that's a good thing.

Traveling quickly means no one area is going to go through hours of damage.

Trust me, I plan to monitor her progress.

Meanwhile, what was I up to today?


Finishing out my A*List while I was southside.

I'd started with Barbara on Friday, having invited her to see "the new baseball movie" with me, and been pleasantly surprised when she agreed.

Very nice!

"The Hill" is based on the real story of a young man who loved the game, with his dream to be on a Major League team... and he made it to the Montreal Expos!

Seems like I would know that story, especially as it was in the mid-70's... but, as I told her, my Daddy wouldn't have paid any attention to a Canadian team.

Now, that is a true story!

Yesterday, I'd seen "Strays", which really missed an opportunity to teach kids about being nice to their pets.

Instead, it targeted the 20 to 40 year olds with its smarmy humor and crassness.

And what the heck was Dennis Quaid doing in that movie??? He was in it as himself, as some kind of amateur bird watcher.

Very odd - but nice to see him again, as he was the dad in the baseball film.

Tonight was a second viewing of "Gran Turismo", again in the Big D, again with Boo.

And, as I told her after I got home, "I felt like the car was on rails..." 

Very nice.

Now, to wait for that 11 PM update.

1 comment:

faustina said...

Wondering about that parking lot photo?
There's a little lizard on that curbstone.
Seriously.
First, he was keeping pace with me...
then, when I stopped, he did, too...
and he flirted with me!
You know, blew up that cherry sac in his throat!
So, I asked him to stay put for a photo, and he did, so I did.
Nice!