Thursday, August 24, 2023

it's cleanin' time again, it's gonna leave me...

That Buck Owens tune, "Crying Time", popped up on the mental jukebox this morning.
Here's the thing: it took me a moment to realize what the title actually was!
In my head, this is what I heard.
 
"Oh, it's cleanin' time again, you're gonna leave me
you can see that far away look in my eyes
I can tell by the way I hold you darlin', ooh
That you're out of my life and it's cleanin' time

Now they say that absence makes the heart grow fonder (fonder)
but i doubt that's true for you, and this I know
you've been out of sight for years or maybe longer (longer)
and I won't need you again if I live to be a hundred years old
"

That's right.
I've been going through the movie cabinet for the past few months, n'est-ce pas?
Watching VHS movies via Comcast rewards and free access to premium channels.
So far, there are fourteen movies from my past that I've seen recently, at least twice.
Those are done.
I no longer need to own those, those material objects no longer need stay.
So, they'll be leaving.
I thought about putting them on eBay...
but they are so picky about photos these days, and I'd have to buy mailers and keep up with the bidding and make sure to mail them out in a timely manner...
and I would just rather not have that bother.
Honestly.
For the buck I might - that's right, "might" - make off each one?
Nope.

The same goes for those stacks of CDs.
I've been meaning to move the filing cabinet and CD stand out of my bedroom for months.
Today, I made that happen.
My thanks to the City of Savannah for that encouragement.
They have been outside my house every morning this week, waking me early.
For the most part, I could just ignore them, as they surveyed the area and marked lines on the street.
Today was different.
The big truck was there, to tear a hole through the fairly new pavement, with all the noise that entails.
So, as I was up anyway, I started culling CDs from the rack as I dusted them.
When all was said and done, 33 CDs were in a pile from the rest, music I no longer wanted.
Of those, five have been reserved for jazz lovers in my life: nephew Noah, brother Smitty, the physicist.
Those 28 on the table are leaving home.
Of those, five were purchased at previous Savannah Music Festivals, and, though they brought me joy at the time, the music isn't something that calls to me.
Two others contain music from Elvis Tribute Artists, but aren't something I want to keep; I am hanging on to the one by Ryan Pelton though.
(smile!)

After a day spent unexpectedly in the house, by the time the crew left, I was ready to get out, too.
Where to go, where to go... oh, yeah, Chili's!
What a winner deal that was!
I decided to go for the same treat I had a few weeks ago, including that ice-cold lemonade.
Winner, winner, shrimp dinner!
Half the chips came home with me, as did the garlic bread and about 2/3 of the cajun pasta.
No shrimp, though - I ate every one of them!
(smile!

Feeling totally refreshed, I cast about for what to do next, hoping to get in a little yard work.
(See how nice the front yard was in that photo? That was from twilight with the Ryobi yesterday.)
I monitored the weather... 
checking that heat index...
was it cool enough to do some late evening mowing?
Wonder of wonders, it was!
Most of the front was done, so to the back I returned.
Forty-five minutes later, and hardly even breaking a sweat in the cooling breeze, I had the quit.
The battery was absolutely exhausted, poor thing.
(smile!)
Still, it got almost all of it done, so that was good!
Still with energy of my own, I popped over to the Food Lion - RAWR!!! - for milk and such.
Then I wandered over to the Book of Face.
This is Throwback Thursday and I had a special photograph to post!
The CD stand wasn't the only thing that got a good going-over this morning.
Nosirreebob.
I also went through the nightstand drawer...
and just look at this nonsense I had there!
"Okay, while it's still Throwback Thursday: I cleaned out the nightstand drawer this morning and look what I found!
The pin was from the square dance club I belonged to while stationed at Galeta Island in Panama. That thing is 44 years old!
The turquoise and silver bolo tie holder is from my Daddy's square dancing days, so it's even older. Aunt Barbara, do you remember him wearing it? I'm sure Bonnie, Merritt, and Conner haven't.
And those other three items? 
Expired! Expired! Expired!"
Hahahaha!
Hahaha!
I couldn't help but think of that Progressive 'mercial with the "Aunts" problem!
Remember?
One of them had opened the fridge and was checking contents.
"Expired. Expired. Expired."
Very punny 'mercials!
(smile!)
 
Now I'm going to enjoy one of the music game shows I so enjoy!
Tonight, "Name That Tune" has two actors from "Glee", all grown up now and trying to win some money for charities.
Maybe my first niece with "join" me with it!
I do so enjoy these shows.
Don't forget the lyrics. 
Beat Shazam. 
That's my jam. 
All are music shows that play songs new, and old, for me.

Masked singer has creepy voices and too much panel speak.
Like Reese's Pieces, the ratio of good stuff (music, peanut butter) to other (celebrity panel, chocolate) is just not quite right for my taste.
Nice that I still have so many other shows that are!
(smile!)

3 comments:

Aunt Barbara said...

Great find! Clean out some more drawers,it really is amazing,I do it every now and then myself,in fact I cleaned out the floor of my closet the other day,I couldn't believe the shoes!! Have a great day!
Love,Aunt Barbara

Lorrie Ruggiero said...

Gurl...

Jackie Frant said...

Thank you - still laughing.