Wednesday, August 2, 2023

vroom, vroom at the movies!

This was the fourth, and final, "At The Movies" sermon at Compassion East and it was certainly a doozie!
Again, both of my brothers and "sisters" were there, but we sat in the row as alternating genders - you know, girl (Mary), boy (Smitty), girl (Laura), boy (Tony), girl (me).
That was my idea!
Guess I had science on my mind again!
(smile!)
The above photo is of Tony and Laura on their way back from the parking lot.
They'd gone out to the vehicle to put my pizza away.
And just what were they looking at?
Not 'what', but 'who'!
Smitty and Mary had arrived, having dined at home!
I'll be doing that, too, as I forgot my Lactaid again.
(smile!)
And just what was it that these two were looking at?
Cars, that's what!
Like this sporty blue baby, for one, with its wide white racing stripes running from the tip of the hood to bottom of the tail!
It looked a lot like one of the cars in the first part of the movie.
Then there was this one.
She was a bit boxy to be on a race oval, but that's okay.
Her 427 engine was the reason her owner had brought her today.
You see, that size was what was used back in the first racing days.
The hood was up so all could come and admire it, too.
That engine was spotless, and polished up!
However, that cherry red color was the real draw for the crowd.
Who cares about the shape as long as it sports that shade?
(smile!)
There was one more fancy car on the lot tonight, too.
What a sweet little number it was!
Who would have thought that was a kit car?
The paint was a little washed out, but the wooden dash, shaped like a heart, told of the love that went into it.
The current owner had bought it recently for only $4000.
What a deal, right?
And it was a convertible!
(smile!)
 
So, what had prompted these three fellows to bring their best gals to the movies with them?
A movie that was singing their song!
"Ford V Ferrari", the 2019 film based on the true story of Ken Miles, a cantankerous mechanic who could drive like no one else.
Why was that?
He listened to the car and knew just how to coax more from its metal and rubber.
But how did he come to be the driver in that 24-hour Le Mans race?
Carroll Shelby - the race car driver with his own brand of chili - believed in him, warts and all, and fought to make sure Ken was the man behind the wheel.
The sermon followed that thread, tying it to passages about God knowing who to choose to spread the message, whether others would believe in them or not.
But you know what I liked best about it?
Well, besides being with family again to watch it?
I enjoyed the international flavor: a British man driving a newly designed American car in a famous French race against skilled Italian drivers.
(smile!)

Today has been a day for finishing things up, including this sermon series.
I completed my AMC A*List earlier today, starting on Saturday with family at "Boss Baby: Family Business" - yes, even though it's movie poster didn't show up.
(smile!)
Then there's "Oppenheimer", which I doubt I will ever watch again.
Almost two years of previews for this 3-hour film, and, as a scientist, I found it almost as horrific as I had "Fat Man And Little Boy" years ago.
As a person, I found the music to be a distraction; it seemed unnecessarily threatening and heart-pounding for such a film.
I guess they just wanted to make sure people "got it" about the horror of using a quest for proof of a theory for the purpose of making bombs of death.
Ack.
The third choice was "Barbie" again, and I liked it better this time.
I again was distracted by the tight shorts, with a flat featureless front and no bulge, on the men, but i did notice that only the men sang.
That was pretty cool.
Their big dance number, too, with them all in black, felt Bollywoodish, and I liked that, too.
(smile!)
 
Now, if you'll pardon me, it's time for a movie of a different ilk from those, but right in keeping with the one at the church.
And, lookey there!
Alan Ruck is in it, too!
Oh, yes, he is, and this time he's a tourist that's chosen the wrong LA bus to board.
This one unwittingly becomes the express bus, forced to "Speed" along above 50 mph to keep from blowing up!
So, where does it end up?
At the airport, with miles and miles of paved road.
"I've already been at the airport," says the camera-toting guy on vacation.
Hahahaha! Hahaha!
I'm so glad AMC+ had this one to liven up my night!
Right place, right time, for me!
(smile!)

No comments: