Wednesday, August 9, 2023

vroom, vroom, with boo, too!

Here Barbara is on Monday!
 
She's trailing the line of folks hoping for ice cream.
 
Sadly, that was an unsuccessful jaunt into Starland.
 
The place had already closed for the day.
 
That's all to the good, though.
 
I'd made sure to have a good luncheon at Ukiyo!
It's a Japanese tapas joint, and the gyoza was plentiful enough to have shared.
Maybe next time I'm there with the meetup CASH.
We had seven: me, Boo, Celeste, MacKay, Vicki, and the Wheelers (Tim and Jessica).
 
That's exactly the number of gyoza I had!
 
I drove this time, to give Barbara a break.
 
Plus, these "dinners" are at 5PM, so for us two they are more like luncheons.
 
That's all well for me!
 
Then, on Tuesday, she and I were together again.
Her turn to drive, especially as this was to be a very late night out!
We went to the 9:20PM screening of a new Bollywood at the Royal of Pooler.
 
"Rocky Aur Rani Kii Prem Kahaani" was utterly delightful!'
I wasn't familiar with Ranveer Singh, but he's on my radar now!
And Alia Bhatt was her usual fabulous self!
Such a fun and modern love story, with the couple opting to live with each other's families for three months, to hopefully find a way for his stuck in the past relatives to get along with her liberated and educated people.
Along the way, they find they have more in common and that bias is everywhere.
Truly excellent... but I was exhausted by the time we got back to Savannah.
 
In between these two outings, I had managed to catch my 2K at the Victory Planet.
 
When I came out, guess who was hobnobbing with my little blue Saturn?
 
Another sailor's car!
 
And it was blue, too!
 
Then again, it's owner has something to do with the Blue Angels, that incredible bunch of flyguys.
 
I thought about waiting for his return... but, nah.
Nice to just know he was there!
(smile!)
 
My third encounter with Barbara was tonight.
Had she known about the Early Access viewing tonight of "Gran Turismo"?
She had not, so we met up at the cinema to watch them go vroom, vroom!!!
 
My, oh, my, what a wonderful movie!
I faintly remember hearing about Jann Mardenborough, but that would have been over a decade ago for someone who doesn't follow racing.
he would have been 24 then, and already racing for five years...
having been only 19 when he transitioned from a video game SIM driver to a real one.
Wow.
Even cooler, he served as the advisor and stunt double in this movie!
Wow.
I look forward to seeing it again when it officially comes to the cinema at month's end.
Plus, it'll be great to see David Harbour a few more times.
Oh, yes, he's guaranteed to make sweet dreams!
(smile!)
 
What a way to close out this A*List, though!
All action movies on this dance card, too, and all were new to me.
That's a nice change of pace... pun intended!
 
"Meg 2: The Trench" was very funny, with 56-year-old Jason Statham showing off not only his moves, but his love of laughs.
I'm glad the previews of this made it clear that it would not be a horror film!
In fact, there's no horror, or gore, in it at all.
Sure, there are a few tense moments, but that left an opening for the woman down the row from me to tell the ones on the screen, "Don't go in there!"
That was funny, too!

Then there's the "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem", unexpectedly animated, seen in the Big D, with me the only one laughing!
LOL!
That's because I was the only one there at 2PM on a Monday!
(smile!)
What I liked best?
All the kid characters - the four turtles and the girl reporter - are voiced by kids.
Not by adults that sound like kids... nope.
That really added an extra level of authenticity to the movie for me.
(smile!)
I don't know if I'll be seeing it again, but possibly.
AMC has been bringing in lots of true horror films of late - and, yes, I include the one about the atomic bomb in that category - and little else.
We'll see what my schedule permits.
It's opera season, and I've volunteered to be an usher at several shows!
Woohoo!!!
(smile!)

1 comment:

faustina said...

I just had to write about that restaurant on tripadvisor!

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g60814-d24134465-r914150586-Ukiyo-Savannah_Georgia.html

Next time, we'll know better how it works!