Tuesday, August 29, 2023

1-dollar weekend movie festival: August


While I'm waiting for the hurricane update, why not do a bit more writing?
I've already completed this month's quartet of Comcast reward movies, and these were all animated, too, in keeping with the Summer Kids Film Festival theme.
What makes these special?
I've never seen any of them before, for starters.
I know, I know, hard to believe... but true.
Another thing that makes them different from the others I've seen is this: they all came out the same year: 2002.
That was the year after Mama died, so maybe that's why I missed them.
Perhaps it was some other reason... but I doubt it.
One last thing that makes these different: they are all science fiction or fantasy.
Very nice to have that genre represented!
(smile!)
So, which movies made the cut?
What choice was made for the first one to get things started?
My first niece is to thank for that.
She's such a big fan of "Lilo And Stitch" that I needed to see it.
Got that distinction?
It isn't that I WANTED to see this one; I NEEDED to see it.
Then again, I've written all about it already, have I not?
I really did like its use of Elvis music!
(smile!)
The second Reward movie was also science fiction, like the first.
"Treasure Planet" was so similar to a book I'd loved in middle school, "Treasure Island", that I felt right at home immediately while watching it!
I think I may have watched it four times over the course of its 72-hour rental.
It's another one that I already devoted a post to earlier.
(smile!
Now, for the third one, I may have been reaching, or perhaps that choice came from my volunteer stint with Vacation Bible School this summer.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that was the major influence behind me watching "Jonah: A Veggie Tales Movie".
Well, it was at least a contributing factor, just like the fact that it had pirates, too, just like the second movie of this film festival.
Not just any old pirates, either.
Nope!
These were Singing Pirates, and they sang about them being "The Pirates That Don't Do Anything"!
It was actually pretty funny.
(smile!)
And the last movie of the quartet?
I chose it primarily because it had an Oscar-nominated theme song, "Father And Daughter", written and sung by Paul Simon.
My favorite line in the song is this:
"There's never been a father loved a daughter more than I love you."
I do love that line.
As for the movie itself, I only watched it twice.
Perhaps I would have liked "The Wild Thornberrys Movie" better if the characters had not been so crudely drawn; then again, it was based on a Nicktoons show.
Nice to hear Tim Curry voicing the dad.
(smile!)
Okay, the update on Idalia should be posted...
peace, OUT!

No comments: