Sunday, August 27, 2023

sparkly! dancing! time travel!

"Soooo much fun yesterday, 
getting "Murdered By Disco" 
by #savannahcabaret 
and traveling back in time 
to being 21 again! 
Glad I had this sparkly top 
from my 2012 trip to Italy 
with the Armstrong nursing students!"
 
That's what I just posted on fb.
Did I mention how exhausted I was afterward?
Well, I should have!
It's as if I actually made that trip back to 1979,
literally, not just figuratively.
Wow!!!
What fun I had before the show even began!
"Macho Man" Shaun was the first of four singers that I conversed with prior to showtime.
He and I talked about time travel, and the fact that I had actually been a dancing queen back then!
Here, he's sporting an umbrella during the show.
Was he going to be "Singing In The Rain"?
Nope!
"It's Raining Men"... which he got from "the future" of 1982!
And here's a chica that was wild and ready!
That's Farrah, which must have been a popular name.
(smile!)
She's a disco queen, as I had been, though I wore flashier clothes, way back in the day.
She was amazed when I brought out my little flip phone to take her photo, and even more so when I told her about it being able 'to send the photos through the air'!
Ah, yes, what a marvel it would have been 44 years ago!
(smile!)
Then there's little Candi Darling.
No, I'm not giving her a pet name, that's her moniker!
Almost as toxic as Honey Bliss Cherry, isn't it?
I have to wonder what grief those two would have endured in their middle and high school years.
And just what was her game?
She wanted to be famous - and, no, it didn't matter at what!
She was ready, willing, and able to do whatever it took!
She looked like the daughter of Reggie Coveney, up in NYC.
(smile!)
But I do believe I had the most fun with this one.
I don't know if she caught my reference to the Dire Straits tune when I addressed her as Roller Girl...
after all, "Skateaway" didn't hit the airwaves until 1980, right?
This New Year's Eve party was still 1979!
That's what Gloria, from the Bronx, told me as we chatted.
I told her about the Savannah Derby Devils and she thought that just might warrant a trip down here.
(smile!)
Then came my favorite part: as she rolled away on her skates, she spun around and flipped this peace sign - very nice!
 
Then it show time at Club One!
My seat was right there, to the right side of the runway, so I had a fabulous view!
I was right there to applaud each performer as they were introduced and took their little spin on the catwalk!
I was right there when each began showing their chops up on that stage - Al, the club owner, with his "Car Wash" days; his ex, Bianca, with her "Knock On Wood"; Farrah, belting out that she "Got To Be Real"!
Wow!
In the above shot, they were all together, for the first group song in Act 1.
And what a fun one that was!
There were even a few little costume changes as they performed the Village People medley!
My favorite was "In The Navy", of course!
How could it not be?
There were a couple of others, concluding with "YMCA" for the audience to sing along, too.
Very nice!!!
But my favorite bits, I do believe, were the singing 'mercials, done by Gloria the Roller Girl and the washed-up Donna, for various 'Ronco' products.
"Enough Is Enough" was the song altered for the 'no more tears' shampoo - hilarious!!!
Those segments were so... much... fun!!!
Then we closed in on the end of the first act with another group song, but this was no medley.
"Smoke On The Water" was the one running through my mind as they all ran about with flames, but that was from a few years earlier.
"Disco Inferno"  - based on scenes in a movie - was the song for this fire at Al's Boogie Oogie Oogie Club.
So much energy!!!
I especially like Tenille El Capitan's expert twirling of the flames - and that inside joke with her name!
I wonder if performer Treyla Trash picked that herself?
I rather fancy she did!
You could tell from her costumes and her moves that she was a Disco Diva, capital "D" necessary!
(smile!)
Then it was time for all of us to vote.
Seriously!
This was an interactive show!
It was up to the audience to determine the ending.
Who would be the one to die?
By whose hand would the deed be done??
And what murder weapon would be used???
Like I said, what great fun this show was!
It clearly wasn't a musical, but it certainly had a lot of music in it, just as "Once" did.
Still, it came nigh on to being a musical during the 'mercial segments, when it seemed that the cantankerous duo would burst into song nearly spontaneously.
Very funny!!!
And the reason for this shot?
I want that cape of many colors... I do!
I liked this segment so much that I have a mini-movie on my phone, with three photos in this sequence.
I can flip through the trio and it's as if I'm watching Tenille spin again.
Very nice!
(smile!)

1 comment:

faustina said...

Wondering how the vote went?

Donna was the one dead on stage at the start of Act 2.

Then we found out all the motives everyone had against her...
but it was Gloria who dealt the killing blow...
with the disco ball!!!

"I Will Survive" she then proclaimed, as she slew everyone else!
Hahahaha!
Felt like an Odd Lot ending to me...
and maybe that's because Thomas and Danielle were there!
(smile!)