Wednesday, December 6, 2023

quite the intense trio of movies these past 3 days...

As you know, I've been on vacation this past weekend.
Let's call it my birthday65 holiday, shall we?
That means no movies at AMC.
I was blessed with temperatures in the 70's, so the rain was no bother.
Now, though, the weather song was heading into the low notes again, especially at night.
That means matinees for me!

The first matinee movie was today for my A*List, on the Big D, as I'd been told to "see it on the biggest screen possible".
Such excellent advice that was!
There's one scene where the little wooden mine sweeper was being chased out there on the wide open sea and all that can be seen of the beast in pursuit are the fins... which easily stand three times higher!!!
All I could think was "you're gonna need a bigger boat".
Seriously.
That wasn't the first instance when I was reminded of "Jaws", either, as the captain of the tiny vessel could have been Quint's cousin.
Well, that is, if he were Japanese, as all dialogue in "Godzilla Minus One" was spoken in that language, with subtitles for we English speakers.
That was fine by me.
It didn't even slow me down from the story, which made this no 'creature feature'.
Indeed, this was the best - absolutely the best - military movie about post-traumatic stress disorder, lack of troop morale, and survivor guilt that I've ever seen.
Seriously.
For Tina Tuesday, I finally watched "Saltburn", as it will be gone on Thursday.
I had expected something akin to "Dangerous Liaisons", but I had misunderstood the preview, as this was not about spoiled rich folk preying on a poor scholarship student.
Nope.
It had much more in common with "Nightcrawler", from 2014.
This one, like that one, was about a reprehensible reprobate adept at playing others against each other for his own gain.
Quite a twisted tale it was, too, mostly taking place over summer break.
Then, today, I caught the latest Nicolas Cage film, "Dream Scenario".
Again, I'd taken the preview at its word, expecting a film about a guy who starts appearing, apropos of nothing, in the dreams of both friends and strangers.
Sounds rather humorous, right?
Here's the rub, though: the guy is middle-aged and resents that in these dreams he simply stands or passes through, not doing anything, just there as a bystander.
If he's going to become famous as "the dream guy", he wants to be known for doing something, anything, not just "being" there!
And then, wham BAM!
Next thing you know he's doing scary, evil things in their dreams and no one wants to be anywhere near him.
Mind, this is because of things he is doing in THEIR dreams, things he has no control over.
To me, in this age of social media driving opinions, that was the scariest aspect.
Yikes.
At least my dance card got filled.
Now, I'm going to wash that movie right out of my mind with a Comcast reward.
They've given me "The Night Before", about three guys trying to find the ultimate party.
My reason for liking it is Joseph Gordon-Levitt, who even sings in it!
Yes, that should work just fine!
(smile!)

No comments: