Tuesday, February 13, 2024

three weeks of A*List backlog - whew!


How did that happen, right?
Guess I've just been distracted by other stuff going on.
I'm going to opt with starting with the most recent and working backward, okay?
This would have been a great week to have had the greats with me!
I started with "Turning Red", a 2022 Pixar film graciously placed in the cinema.
Thanks, AMC!
I very much enjoyed this Asian, animated, coming-of-age piece that equated a 13-year-old's onset of puberty as the release of her super powers.
Namely, the women in her family had an inner red panda!
Very nice movie about family and friends, too.
The next day, I went to the one screening of "The Jungle Bunch: Operation Meltdown", which was originally called "Les As de la Jungle 2: Operation Tour Du Monde".
Sounds French, n'est-ce pas?
That's because it kinda sorta was, though it was in spoken English.
Here's what I found out about it: it's part of a series of films, all based on a TV show.
When I sought it out on IMDB, there wasn't even a storyline or a single review.
Well, I rectified that and gave it both!
As I said in my review, it ain't Disney, but it has a fantastic story that weaves adventure and science into a trek to find an aging scientist with dementia.
And get this: his daughter has a wooden prosthetic hand, due to a lab accident.
Cute and cuddly those animals are not, but that was fine with me!
There's naught cute and cuddly in "Lisa Frankenstein", either, but it was fun!
I had hoped for something akin to "Warm Bodies", but received an update on the love life of the teen girl from "Beetlejuice", if she were now a high school senior.
And that's all I'm going to say about that - for a good laugh, see it for yourself!
(smile!)

Okay, now fastforward in reverse to the previous week, shall we?
Yes, those first two movies look the same, and that's for a very good reason: they are!
Honestly, it was good that I had somewhere else to be after that first viewing or I would have turned right around and watched it again.
Seriously!
Instead, I had to wait until Tuesday to see "Argylle" again - such fun with dancing spies!!!
My intention was still to see it a third time that week, but I chose to see the "Mean Girls" musical one last time, as it was on its way off the schedule.
Good choice!

Now for that penultimate week of January.
LOL! Expecting the last week of that month, were ya?
As for the three in the photo, those were all once-and-done, thank you.
All three were science fiction, though only one was set in space.
That would be the first one, of course, titled "I.S.S." and all about political shenanigans on the International Space Station.
Yes, thank you, Ronald Reagan, for continued rumors in neutral territory.
As I told Tom, that movie pointed out the problem with having military folks as astronauts is the same exact problem encountered by having lawyers as politicians: when the cookies start to crumble, they revert to their core identity.
Next up was "The Book Of Clarence", seen for two reasons: 1) I enjoy watching LaKeith Stanfield; 2) I wanted to hear the soundtrack composed by Jeymes Samuel, who also wrote and directed the movie.
Good call!
Both were good, solid reasons why I liked the movie, too, but not so much that I would have watched it a second time in the cinema while so many new movies were coming out.
Under other circumstances, I would definitely see it again.
Not so for "Poor Things".
In fact, although it appears on my dance card, I didn't watch it at all.
I'd seen it the week before at NCG Cinema on a Tuesday, with my amigas, because we had all been hot from the previews to see Mark Ruffalo and Willem Dafoe and Emma Stone...
what a fiasco that movie turned out to be.
Ack, ack, pitooey, yuck.
Seeing so much of Mark Ruffalo's naked body was the best part, even though he was a cad.
Following in the footsteps of Victor Frankenstein, Willem Dafoe is a twisted mad scientist who combines body parts of animals, including humans in the mix, to see what happens.
His latest experiment has him place the brain of an infant into the skull of a drowned young woman that he then reanimates.
Ah, but here's the truly creepy part: the infant was the unborn child of the woman.
Truly horrific, to me at least.
Once that plot point was revealed, I found it impossible to veer away from that horror show.
As I told my friends after, I had to wonder what Mary Shelley would have made of such a variation on her murderous doctor.
Ack, ack, pitooey, yuck.
So, why did I give it a slot on my A*List?
Well, we had made such a fuss over it when the previews were lauding it that I wanted to make sure AMC knew that I appreciated them giving us a wide selection of films.
For that reason, and that reason alone, I got that ticket...
then walked out of the cinema instead of into the screening room. 
Good choice.
Now, I have places to go!
People to see!
(smile!)

No comments: