Saturday, February 10, 2024

celebration, with puppets

It's the oddest thing: I don't like dolls or mannequins or ventriloquist dummies.
They really give me the heebie-jeebies.
But puppets?
I adore puppets!!!
Thank you, Jim Henson, for giving me that with your wonderful Muppets!!!
He gave them to the world 65 years ago, in 1958, so they have been always present to me, teaching lessons about life with humor and compassion.
I'm sure he was an inspiration to Angela Beasley, too.
She would have been a 23-year-old young mother in 1969 when his creations made the scene on "Sesame Street".
She began crafting her own puppets shortly thereafter, ranging in size from hand-operated to full-adult stature, to the delight of folks here in Savannah for 55 years.
 
I've been one of those who marveled at many of her creations for much of my life.
For instance, take Formica Dinette, a bawdy Southern belle with a mouth like Mae West.
What a name she has!
My first introduction to her was at the wedding reception for Bill - a 50-year-old bachelor who did the news, but had finally met the love of his life.
Miz Formica was all over him, hugging and kissing and trying to make him blush - hilarious!
Good times!
 
That must have been close to 30 years ago, but Formica looked just as fresh and sparkly as she had all those years ago.
So did Elvis in his Las Vegas-era jumpsuit!
This was just after the Puppet People Parade down the center aisle at Asbury Memorial Church.
What a rowdy good time, with cheering from the seats to either side and much dancing by puppets and humans alike!
I am so happy that this Celebration of Life was so jubilant!
I very nearly jumped up and grabbed one of the puppets gracing the narthex to be part of the parade!
I know it must have done Angela's children a world of good to have so many there to share the love for their mother.
That's them by the podium: tall Jeff in the white, diminutive Alyson in black.
(She would later operate Formica, while Jeff took over with Elvis.)
How wonderful to have shared the stage with so many of their mom's works of art!
How wonderful to watch the sibling interplay during their remembrances of their mom!
What a blessing to be there for them!
Indeed it was.

I don't attend many of these events, unless I personally know the one being celebrated.
In this case, it wasn't that I knew her that well, but that I knew so many who did.
Ryan McCurdy, Chris Soucy, Justin Kent - all once were puppet operators for her company.
JinHi and Mark Rand, Lynita Spivey - acted onstage alongside some of her creations.
All told, there were five oral essays, or remembrances, given here today, including one from Ryan about the many trips in the back of a panel van to give shows at schools, senior centers, or wherever there were "two people and an electrical outlet for the boombox."
Those must have been magnificent adventures, never quite knowing what would be revealed when the back doors of that van opened!
He was just beaming with those memories!
 
It truly did my heart good, as did the lovely weather in the low 70's.
The warmth of the day had been another reason I'd gone to this celebration, as well as the knowledge that it would be highly entertaining.
That it was!
As well as those trips down memory lane with those who'd known her well, and the Puppet People Parade afterward, there were also three videos and three songs!
Well, four, really, including Reverend Billy Hester doing Kermit's "Rainbow Connection".
Oh, and all of us chiming in for "Morning Has Broken"!
Such a lovely way to pass two hours on a sunny afternoon...
sharing friendship and food with those old and new to me...
i thank You, God.

No comments: