Wednesday, July 19, 2023

Mike, not Michael, but probably cousins

Maybe not first or second or even sixth cousins, but related in some way.
I hadn't picked up on that before, but the circumstances hadn't mixed in this fashion before.
So, just what was the sequence of events?
First, I had watched "Monsters, Inc." this morning, a reward movie from Comcast.
That made my fourth time viewing it, so details were crystalized and clear.
Mike Wazowski had his name called out by a toddler several times, so that was fresh in my mind, even though I heard it as "Wah-KOW-ski" in the child's voice.
So, that's the starting point.
 
Next, I went to Compassion East again with Tony and Laura, even though none of us knew what film would be the focal point of this week's "At The Movies" session.
I shared Donato's pizza with my brother and sis-in-law, getting enough for breakfast tomorrow.
Oh, yeah!
Then, on the way in for the film, I spotted them -
They were in a plastic cup, both promotional items for this film series.
Most excellent!!!
And I do love those reddish pink side-arms!
We all grabbed popcorn and candy and drinks and headed in to church!
And what was the movie?
"Unstoppable", with Denzel Washington and Chris Pine, a true story about two men trying to stop a runaway train before it crashes into the heart of a city.
The sermon had an overlying theme of choice and consequences, with the largest example being the lineman who chose to get off the train to manually change a track switch, only to have the the gear shift slip, allowing the train speed to increase such that the man was unable to get back onboard. 
That bad choice was exacerbated by managers who didn't feel the need to do anything about it because "someone else would handle it".
It came down to the two men on another train, and a woman in the dispatch center, to try to catch up with the rogue, unmanned, train before it crashed into a city with dire consequences to its population.
An embedded theme was that of choice and consequences in marriage.
One of the two men was recently separated from his wife.
He heard her on the phone and assumed it was with a male friend and then he threatened the male friend, who happened to be a cop, with a gun.
The wife filed for separation.
It turned out she'd just been texting with a female friend, but her husband had been quick to fly into a jealous rage and made a bad choice, with the consequence that their child might grow up without his father in the house.
Really good service!

Now, I was home again, with all of that running in my head.
The choices to watch on TV were slim pickings, with the consequence that I selected my latest Comcast Summer of Movies reward, "Sonic The Hedgehog".
Ah, yes, love the baseball scene so much!
This time, though, the sheriff's name really got my attention.
The 'pretzel lady', his wife, had called him by his full name: Thomas Michael Wachowski.
His middle name was what???
That immediately brought to mind the little green monster from the morning.
Perhaps, just perhaps, they had relatives in some other galaxy?
Relatives whose last names were misheard or misspelled by a tired immigration clerk?
Hey, that routinely happened back in the day, and may still for all I know.
Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to rewind the "tape" so I can dance again with Jim Carrey - umm, I mean Doctor Robotnik.
That song he's dancing to, "Where Evil Grows", has such an infectious groove, but a decidedly dark side.
Hard to believe it's from the same guy that gave us the folksy "Seasons In The Sun"!
(smile!)

No comments: