Thursday, January 12, 2017

for something....


I know you think this is funny, but I'm here to tell you that it is true.
Well, maybe not that "beer" part, but you get my drift.
Sunday, the water taps outside had to be dripped because the temperatures dropped below freezing for the second night in a row.
Today, the high was almost 80 degrees Fahrenheit and I ran around in a thin shirt and short pants.
I've been able to have the heat off and can continue to do so for the next two days.
i thank You, God.
What a relief to not have miserably cold weather for this first week of classes!

Speaking of classes...
At Armstrong, I have a habit of checking students' majors to be sure they are supposed to be in my chemistry. Over the last ten years, I have found several whose advisors had signed them up for mine instead of the other course. When I find one that is enrolled in error, I drop them an email.
Monday, I sent out the following.

"Your major is listed in SHIP as Psychology.
As such, you are required to take Chem1211 and Chem1211L as well as Chem1212 and Chem1212L to satisfy the Course D requirements.
Chem1152 and Chem1152L are Survey courses and will not be counted toward your major, except as "elective" courses.
Please check with your advisor to enroll in the correct Chemistry sequence.
Dr. Smith"

I included the weblink for the requirements for the student's major.

I was touched by the reply.

"Dr. Smith,
I am a Psychology major and will be graduating this May. I only need to satisfy one elective along with my internship to graduate. I took Chem 1151 Last spring without the lab to satisfy one elective of the 6 hours approved electives in BIOL, CHEM, MATH, or PHYSICS.
I was originally in Biol 3030, Evolution. However, due to some issues with financial aid, all my classes got dropped and Evolution closed. My adviser did not provide much help on what alternative class I could take and Chem 1152 was open. Will this class still work as an elective?
Thank you so much for contacting me. In my five years at Armstrong, not one professor has taken the time to check my requirement sheet and email me.
Thank you for all your help in this matter."


Wow.

So, what else has been going on?
Well, after class and lab (safety review) yester eve at Armstrong, I headed for the Sentient Bean. Jim Reed had a "mystery" tribute film featuring David Bowie and I was bound and determined to be there! Our clue had been that it had a great ensemble cast and that Bowie was in a different kind of role.
I had hoped it would be "Into The Night", one of my all-time favorites (it even has an Elvis Tribute Artist!!!). Instead, I was treated to "The Linguine Incident", the 1991-feels-like-1980 romance with would-be escape artist Lucy the Ethereal. Very cute film!

Tonight after lecture and lab at Savannah Tech, back downtown I again ventured! This time, my destination was the Jepson. The PULSE Art + Technology Festival was in town and my membership had granted me a free PULSE Pass for all of the events, through Sunday. Hooray!!!
I had arrived with a little time to explore some of the exhibits before the evening events. I actually played the Line Wobbler and did pretty well with it, with my green dot eliminating red dots and navigating hot lava. I did!!!
I also checked in on the Bird Girl and made sure she was okay. She was in the company of quite a few statues, some of metal, some of clay. I'll spend more time with them tomorrow when I return!
My favorite was probably Gene Kogan's Cubist Mirror. I know I'm going to have fun with it every time I come here!


Then it was time for the first after-dark event! "Submerged" consisted of two women, dancing live on a darkened stage as their electronic versions, like digital shadows, danced against an ever-changing screen. Pretty cool! I found myself watching the screen, rather than the live action...that was the point, right?


Then came the headliner!
"How To Speak Dinosaur" was a lecture and musical demonstration, with Courtney Brown showing us the ropes.
Or, rather, how to use the two balloons serving as the vocal chords to "play" the 27.9-inches-tall skull of the juvenile Corythosaurus she named RAWR.
(smile)
Wow! I plan to give it a few tries myself while the exhibit is here.
You bet I will!
Are you wondering how it sounds? Check it out!
At one point tonight, she was singing and interspersing it with blowing through the resonating skull. I cracked up! It reminded me so much of when my dog used to try to "sing" along with me!
I had the good fortune to sit beside her mom in the front row. After the Q & A period was done, her mom complimented me on being such a good audience! She was a retired teacher, and, like me, she appreciates an engaged and interactive audience.
That really made my night!
(smile!)

No comments: