Saturday, January 14, 2017

completely different!


What a Friday and Saturday I have had!
For breakfast on Friday, I ate the rest of my Chicken Positano from Carrabbas, daydreaming...
of the incredible waiter, Rob, who had served it to me last night...
of the sunny day in Italy when I had ridden the ferry to that city by the shore...
of the fine pasta I had eaten while overlooking the blue sky and blue sea...
what a fine way to begin a day!
Friday afternoon found me back at the Jepson, of course.
Time to play!

First up were the Four Pegasus
(the fourth was camera-shy)
floating down the stairs...
as pool toys will do!

And what was floating above them,
there in the bright atrium?
Hot Pink!
It had returned,
like a little girl's sun
rising to greet the day!

Speaking of little girls,
these are the water-testing toes of a lass!
The piece is titled "Playdate" -
how very appropriate for my time at the Jepson!
How sweet of her to visit the Bird Girl!

This lovely piece of red glass,
with several very different textures,
is titled "Kneeling Figure"
and is usually outside on the terrace.
Can you see the spire of the church
down the street?
Very nice coincidence, isn't it?

Then, to visit RAWR at the end of the third-floor hall.
A bunch of children had been in earlier,
so I didn't try out my lungs...
this time...
but just you wait!

"Re-embodied" was in that same room.
Images created from the DNA left on a cigarette butt, discarded bubblegum, stray hairs, all found on a NYC street.
I guess that work isn't just for CSI anymore!

Then, near the ceiling,
this array of changing lights
caught my eye.
Altitude sensors attached to a buoy
tracked the live-time movement of the device.
Very cool!
I would have liked the sound, too...
how peaceful that would be!

Then to play with the DoppelCam!
Not quite!!!
The image it selected from the internet as my double was that of a young girl.
I guess it saw us both as dark-haired white chicks in this limited gene pool!

THIS was a device for converting the emotions expressed in prose into a form of music, with notes assigned to each type of emotion.
I very much liked that "The Little Prince" was one of the three selections. I shared that news with JinHi and she was excited, too!
(smile)
"Lord of the Flies" and "Heidi" were the other two books.

I saved Kogan's "Cubist Mirror" for last...
because I knew I liked it most!
So many photos I took of its images of me!

I must say, I think I may like it
even more than "Swarm",
which has been a long-time favorite!
I don't know...
this Daniel Shiffman piece is so colorful!

No need to decide right now!
Instead, I was able to be in the auditorium while David Spencer was tuning up his Dorian lyre!
That's right... a recreated lyre, using all the same things as the ancient Greeks used.
Well... except that synthesized tortoise shell.
No animals were harmed, folks!

Then it was finally time for "The Odyssey Redux"!
The classic tale had been re-imagined as
a one-man play, with visual aids,
for a modern audience.
Narrated by Alessandro Imperato, all synthesizer, guitar, and lyre strumming was performed by David.
More than two hours passed magically and swiftly!



IN a surreal twist, I came home to Monty Python on the telly!
"Dead Parrot"!
"I'm a Lumberjack and that's okay"!
Two of my favorites!

This morning, one of the guys (!) in my WW meeting cooked breakfast! He made chicken patties, served in a warmed pita with tzatiki sauce! What a treat!
I didn't even care that my weight was a little up this time.
(smile)
The hard part of the day was coming.
I would have to decide between my meetup and PULSE...
what to do???
Well, why not do both!
So, that's what I did.
JavaFlix Savannah was showing "Don't Think Twice", a film I had voted to see for this month. That event began at 5:30 PM, allowing me to visit with Barbara, Sandy, and Roy Wood.
Good!
The movie was quite good, too. It followed the change in group dynamics of an improv troupe when one of the members makes the big leagues. Honestly, I kept thinking about Eminem's history of hangers-on to his coattails.
I would have liked to stay for the post-movie discussion, but...
it was not yet 7:20 PM...
I could still catch part of the PULSE event if I hurried...
and so I did!
And so I did, too!

It was a Chiptune Night Concert!
Imagine if the music from the old-time game consoles could live on today, maybe with a live guitarist, maybe with visuals on the silver screen...
and what I saw and heard tonight was just that!
Matt Akers was the man with the live music, calling his "band" Little Paw.
Cute! Fun! Sounds like an arcade on speed!
Glad I was able to catch the last forty minutes of his show!

Now, I'm going to eat my supermarket sushi before meeting Barbara and Sandy for "Lion" in thirty minutes.
What a fine couple of days this has been!
i thank You, God, for all of this free entertainment I have enjoyed!

No comments: