Wednesday, January 4, 2017

for art through french eyes


What a frustrating day.
Sure, some good has come along with the bad, as is usually the case.

A young man rapped on my door. Would I like to have the branches cut that overhang my driveway?
Only $85, he said, after including the branches over the sunroom.
Fine, I said.
I've been waiting or more than a year for my neighbor to make good on his promise.
While the young man was working on the limbs, his dad/coworker came up.
He said he would patch the roof, rubbed raw from months of storm-lashed branches.
Just $250... in addition to the earlier fee.
You have got to be kidding, right?
Yet, I could see the roof's edge was ragged and upturned...
and we have had rain for the past two nights...
So I agreed.
I made sure they knew I was a part-time teacher and would not be paid again until the end of February...
but I agreed to have the work done.
Now, a silicone compound has been smeared over the damaged area, but that will hopefully keep away any moisture.
I'm going to let the neighbor know that he owes me the money.
I'm hoping he will pay.

While the work was taking a lull for a trip to Home Depot, Jordan texts me.
Had I checked my SavTech email? I should do so, as it concerns my teaching schedule.
You must be kidding, I thought.
I've just finished working on those three syllabi and uploading them for the students.
Then comes more bad news.
The Chem1151 lecture and lab which had been so carefully scheduled to agree with time needs of the Criminal Justice majors had only five students registered. The two classes were being cancelled.
I would only have the Chem1211 lecture remaining there.
Terrible news.
Jordan has offered a Thursday afternoon Chem1211 Lab to help me out.
I have not decided yet if I am taking it.
I probably will.
At least I won't have three days a week of teaching at 9:30 AM.

I almost stayed home, but I had promised to bring some clothing items to Axelle.
At the NYE Gala at Muse, Joe had given his black sweater to her.
When we were leaving, I asked him about his sweater...
and that's when I found out about her special new project...
which will make use of black or white articles of clothing from people she knows.
I like that it will have a personal aspect.
(smile)
I had looked forward to the Italian-made film shown by PFS at the Sentient Bean, as well as seeing friends, including Axelle, again.
However, the 1974 suspense film, "The Perfume of the Lady in Black", had a tacked-on, unsatisfying ending.
Ugh.
Still, it was good to see an actress named for a word in one of my favorite poems, "Jabberwocky".
(smile)
It was also good to give a lift to Axelle, in partial payment for her coming to my emotional rescue after my hit-and-run in August 2015.
My closet and dresser are lighter by six items now...
a lacy black bra that never looked right except under one dress...
the two thin, lined, pleated, drawstring skirts - one black, one white - bought for the trip to Italy in 2002...
a pair of white trouser socks, that were maybe worn twice, years ago...
black stockings, maybe worn three or four times, but definitely on NYE 2007...
and a knobby, long-sleeved, white sweater, so old and stretched out that I haven't a clue when I got it.
All old items, worn by me, now going to have a new life.

She really liked that I had included the white socks and the black bra.
(smile)

1 comment:

faustina said...

Here's the link to the finished art that Axelle created.

https://filmloversinscenicsavannah.blogspot.com/2017/03/capturing-friends-in-new-art.html

How cool to know part of me is in there!