Friday, June 30, 2017

bananas + rain = august 2


Willie had called me three times during the day.
Rain had been forecast and he wanted to make sure I would be at the game tonight.
Even after we'd had two brief showers, I had assured him I was going to Grayson.
It was Friday night and I wanted some baseball!
Apparently, he and I were not the only ones wanting to watch the boys of summer do their thing.

Guess who greeted me as soon
as I entered the stadium?
Ed Devita!
Holy bananas!
I hadn't seen him in years!
Of course I shared the photo with the ex!
We had both been at Ed's wedding in 1992,
just months before our own.
Ah, memories!

As for baseball...
well, folks, it didn't look good.
The infield was dotted with mini-ponds
at every base.
The shop vacuum was eliminating much
of the standing water, but was slow.
Less than an hour until game time
and there were so many puddles!

Even after they had carefully -
don't spill it, boys! -
removed the tarps from
the batting area at home plate
and from the pitcher's mound,
the damage was evident
there as well.
(Plus, they got muddy. LOL!)

Fifteen minutes until game time.
They had located the sandy clay
and were spreading it around.
Definitely, the first pitch
would have to be delayed.
That's okay, though!
Families were still streaming in
for their evening of food
and entertainment...
and baseball, of course!

Did I say entertainment?
You bet your sweet bippy!
Rain or shine, the show must go on!
To paraphrase what Ryan Flores
told his girlfriend last year
,
with the Savannah Bananas,
you get a circus with your baseball!
Of course, that's the dominant philosophy
of the team's owners!

Above, two 16-year-old boys took on
the Garbage Can Nachos,
a twenty-dollar, calorie-laden
conglomeration of cheeseburgers,
chips, jalapenos, and cheese.
Believe it or not, one of them
ate all of his in the ten minutes allotted!
I can certainly believe it -
I had three brothers and I know they could have!

This is Christian Hollie, my favorite Banana this year, with Mister Willie, my favorite baseball-watching Elvis singer.
(smile)
I so wish I had been there when he came around, but I was off trying to find Ed again.
No worries, though, Willie had my back, jack!
He had the woman sharing the bench with us (Karen) take this photo for me.
(smile)
Why was the Banana roaming the stands?
As shown in the preceding photo, he's one of five in the Savannah bunch who are going to the CPL All-Stars game!
The other four players traveling with him will be LJ Talley, John Cassala, Logan Mattix, and Elliott Forde.
Go, Bananas, go!

And go we did, too, after the rain finally let up a bit.
We were stranded in our seats for about fifteen minutes before it was safe for Willie to move down to the lobby.
Berry Aldridge -
the man who gave me my birthday party! -
even helped Willie to my car, with all three of us getting pretty soaked!
Fun times!


Now, Willie is safely with Gloria, I am showered and my hair is washed, and I have just found "Guardians Of The Galaxy" for free viewing ON DEMAND!
Life is good!!!
i thank You, God!

1 comment:

faustina said...

Knowing I would be at Kissimmee, August 2nd would not work for me. Last night, I exchanged my rain date ticket for the July 31st game. Hooray!