Monday, May 29, 2017

birthday party with bananas!


Woohoo!
This afternoon, the Savannah Bananas threw me a huge birthday party!
It was catered and everything!
And the best part?
It was completely free for everyone!
Split even gave me a big hug and grin as I came in!
(smile!)

That man in the yellow top hat?
It was officially welcoming everyone to the party!
He had made sure I was able to shake the hand of every single one of those new college guys, too.
Let me tell you: some of those guys are absolutely adorable!

After the fellows had warmed up in the field,
they came in a bit closer so I -
and all the other party guests! -
could watch them have batting practice.
I liked seeing them shagging flies, too!
(smile)
That's an inside joke with my brother Ronnie.

I had expected him to make it, but he did not.
On the other hand, my friend Julie was there!
She and I sat in Mister Willie's seats.
It was too hot for him to be out there today -
the high was already in the 90's Fahrenheit.
Hallelujah for the Big Ass fans!

After an hour or so of batting practice,
the Bananas took a pause on this Memorial Day
to salute the military in the crowd.
That included me, of course!
My many thanks, guys -
I do so enjoy the acknowledgement
of my eight years of service as a WAVE -
or was I a WIN?
Either way, I was part of the US Navy!

Then the party was moved
onto the baseball diamond!
"Come one, come all, kids of all ages!
Run the bases!
Talk with the players!
Play catch in the outfield!"
In no time at all,
the stands had nearly emptied and
the grass was covered with feet!

I stood it as long as I could...
then I said to Julie,
"I have got to go walk the bases!
It's my birthday and that's a rare treat
for them to allow us grown kids out there!"
She joined me, of course!
Here's my foot on first base...

... and here my foot is again,
on home plate!
We had to first find the plate,
as it had become submerged under
the dust stirred by numerous feet...
but find it we did!
Oddly the first base bag is quite soft,
but home plate is definitely hard!

Then the witching hour came -
it was suddenly seven pm! -
and the playing field emptied
almost as quickly as it had filled
a mere hour earlier.
My view was now of a baseball diamond
waiting for its first home game on Thursday.

I will be there for Friday and the fireworks!
And where shall I sit?
Second row, third seat from the aisle.
Sah-weet!
I had hoped for something just like this!
Many thanks to the Savannah Bananas
for my birthday party '59' -
aka "Fan Fest 2017" -
I had a blast!
(smile)
I'll be sure to wear my dancing shoes to the game!
(Look for me at time marker 00:56 - love dancing with the Bananas!)

No comments: