Friday, December 22, 2017

twelvetide holiday wave!



Let me guess: you've never heard of Twelvetide.

"You got that right, as Lynyrd Skynyrd would say."

Ha! Trust you to bring some wild-eyed southern boys into this!

"I guess 38 Special qualifies for that, too. Yes, indeed!"

Okay, we've had our fun, let's get back on topic, shall we? I was asking you about Twelvetide...

"Which is otherwise known as the Twelve Days of Christmas, to everyone who isn't a thalassophile like you. How about that? I managed to use that Greek term for lover of the sea!"

Yes, dear, on both counts. Anywho, I have my own little Twelvetide cresting! Mine, though, will consist of a dozen days of events with holiday themes. Quite appropriate for me, wouldn't you say?

"Quite appropriate for you!"
(smile)
"And just when did this begin?"

Well, I consider the first day to have been last Saturday. I had not one, but TWO, holiday classics on that day! First was "The Nutcracker", then "It's A Wonderful Life"... and it is!

"Okay, I'll grant that was definitely a good start. What did you have on Sunday?"

I had "Joy Wrapped In Strange Packages", thanks to Reverend Billy. Seriously, that was the definition of 'Christmas-themed'! Then I 'gave' my time to usher for Collective Face that afternoon, and they 'gave' me a second viewing of "Harvey". Such a nice giving of gifts!

"Ehhhh... that's a bit of a stretch. Not the part at church, that's totally legit."

Day 3 of Twelvetide found me having my Christmas meal with the Boomers. As the majority of us wore our holiday sweaters, that was quite fun! I liked the walk to look at lights, too.

"Definitely deserving of inclusion in Twelvetide!"

I absolutely agree.
(smile)
Day 4 of Twelvetide was a Tuesday, so you know what that means: Tina Tuesday! (Holds up my hand.) Now wait, it does too count. Is not the giving of gifts a holiday event?

"Yes, yes, it is."

Well, Kevin bought my ticket to see "Thor:Ragnarok" and I am regarding that as a gift. Yes, I am! Also, he gave me a key to his place so I can take care of his old-lady cat, Jinx. If that wasn't a gift, then I don't know what that word means.

"I'll grant you that one, for sure. Especially as tricky as things were for the two of you back in October. How wonderful that your friendship is so strong again!"

You're telling me! And now I get to take care of his kitteh while he's home for the holidays. That's a sure sign of trust... and that is a blessing.
(smile)
Let's see, the next day was Wednesday... what did I do? Oh, yes, I went to see "Jacob Marley's Christmas Carol"! What a holiday treat! I wish I could see it every year!

"Okay, that brings you up through Day 5 of your Twelvetide. What was up yesterday?"

Well, first I went to Wash Plus
to check in on Nami
after her trip to Texas
for her daughter's graduation
from college.
How exciting that was for her!
She gave me a Santa bag of Byrd cookies -
yum! - and a reindeer-bedecked kitchen towel.
She is so very kind to me!

That evening, Carolyn and I had dinner and a Christmas movie! We dined at Carey Hilliard's, then drove out to the Tybee Post Theatre for "White Christmas"! How very good to see Danny Kaye dancing on their silver screen! And, believe it or not, we knew almost all of the songs in this 1954 film!

"I don't doubt that for either of you! You seem to know so many old musicals and Carolyn is of an age that she would have seen that when it came out."

She does seem to have a deep fondness for the film. It was her idea to see it!
Now, then, that gets me halfway through Twelvetide.
Today, this 7th day of Twelvetide, I've already had more Christmas this afternoon! The Savannah Children's Theatre had a free show, "Holiday Follies" - such great fun! Singing and dancing galore - and that was just me in my seat!
Tonight, I have another evening of Christmas entertainment at Tybee.
Then, on Saturday, there will be the Odd Lot show. Sunday is Christmas Eve, Monday is Christmas....

"Now, all you have to do is get a little Christmas into Tuesday and Wednesday..."

No worries! Now, I should wrap this up and head for the coast!
Later!

No comments: