Saturday, August 18, 2018

half past four and i'm shifting gears


A little "Radar Love" would feel pretty righteous right now, it would, to re-energize my body.
Instead, I'm having a quick bit of scone and iced coffee, as I've had naught for nourishment since breakfast.
That was at 9:30 this morning.
Ninety minutes later, I was at the MLK, Jr. Arena, along with a few hundred other hopefuls, for Central Casting's second date in Savannah.
I've been there ever since.
The first three hours were spent sitting in the stands,
just waiting for the section I was in to have our turn.
Sections 25, 27, 29, and 31 already had people.
I was told to sit in Section 26, which was about
half-full when I arrived.
Most of the people there were children, and most of those
were younger than ten years old, with their moms if not
their entire families.
Let's just say the scene was loud and very busy.
The parents had simply not prepared to entertain the kids
for such a long wait.
The snack bar in 7X kept quite busy!
Then, progress!
We were given a sheaf of papers on a clipboard:
paperwork to complete our registration for, and potential hiring with, Central Casting.
Then, to stand, in area 3124, rather than sit.
This upside-down alien smiley face cheered me on!
Then came the worst part - standing and waiting in a very slow-moving line for more than two hours to submit the paperwork, have identity verified for employment,
and have a trio of official photos taken.
The first smiley face had greeted me so humorously at a quarter past 2 PM.
By the time the doubled-up line had moved and uncoiled and shifted around to allow me to face it again, I'd been standing for seventy-five minutes.
I managed to keep myself entertained, and those around me, for the most part.
Mostly, I hummed "I Feel Good" or "I Feel Pretty" and
danced in place to those happy songs.
(smile)
I also made friends with Maggie's mom.
They were transplanted Michiganders and we took turns holding places in the line for each other, for bathroom breaks and their snack breaks.
Maggie is going to be a chemist on Mars!
(smile)
Then, suddenly, a dog was there with us!
How auspicious for this year, n'est-ce pas?
Finally, we could see the end of the registration table - our ordeal was almost over...
and Maggie and her mom were going to make their
5 PM birthday swim-party after all!
The time was then 4:21 PM.
We were done and out the door in less than another
ten minutes.
Now, we had to await the call to be an extra in...
the Disney movie which would be filming here!
(Rumor has it that the film will be a live-action update of "The Lady and The Tramp"!!!)
Woohoo!!!
Sadly, though, I had missed my call time at the Lucas.
I had contacted Joe of NY to let him know what was going on, so the good folks there wouldn't think I was standing them up.
That was about an hour ago... the second time I was facing the alien smiley.
For me to make it to the Lucas before the 5 PM start time of the dance recital, something special would be needed.
One of the girls ahead of us wore a shirt with some good advice.
"Paris is just a unicorn ride away!"
Sadly, no unicorns were standing by to whisk me to my destination.
I guess the caffeine in my drink will have to do the trick.
Away I go!
Wish me luck!
(smile)

No comments: