Monday, August 27, 2018

looking for the bunny ears


Truthfully, I wanted the post title to be "a reflection on art and my Daddy's Playboy magazines", but that seemed a bit long.
"Looking for the bunny ears" conveys the same message and lacks pretension.
Honestly, I think that's what's wrong with how the art world is seen.
Art is not just for rich, smart, folk - it's for everyone, in all walks of life -
and not just as models.
(smile)

This topic was brought to mind directly by this painting.
"SURF DOGGIE, POWER, PEACE AND HIS PET RABBIT" is what John E. Thursby, a local artist, named his 1995 piece.
I would have called it "Breaking The Rules", as it reminds me greatly of my middle brother, Ronnie.
In fact, I think my brother would be quite pleased that this painting had brought him to mind.
I'll have to make sure to mention it the next time I see him.
Let's go back to the painting of this character, going in for the close-up.
Apparently, he goes by the name Surf Doggie, no doubt patterned after a late night show host.
His right hand is clenched in a "power to the people" fist, while his left is flashing the "peace" sign.
So far, so good.
So, where is the bunny?
I had looked all over the painting, past the discarded beer can, around the parked car... No rabbit.
Then, I noticed the shadow from his left hand...
AHA!
Found it!

And that little exercise reminded me of the game with the Playboy magazine.
On every cover, the image of the Playboy bunny is hidden.
Your mission, if you choose to accept it, is to find the bunny.
(smile)
I first found out about the game when I was a teen.
You see, there was a basket of magazines in my family's one bathroom. Most were Mama's: "Good Housekeeping", stuff like that. But, one day, while looking for something to satisfy my voracious reading appetite, I found Daddy's stash under the others. Oh, my! Dirty jokes! Funny limericks! Interviews with celebrities!
And I discovered the "find the bunny" game when I read the blurb inside about the cover art.
Oh, cool! A puzzle to solve! Like with the "Mad" magazine's back page!
Very nice!

Back to today, shall we?
MOAS was having its "After Hours" viewing party, a monthly event with two extra hours of viewing pleasure. Part of the event is a special show at the Planetarium - what a treat! This time, it was "Laser Retro", featuring music from the 1980's - totally my jam! That period covered my last few years in the Navy, my time as a student at Armstrong, and part of my time as a doctoral student at Florida State. Woohoo!!!
And I was thrilled with the song choices! From the opening notes of Red Rider's "Lunatic Fringe" to the last tones of the Eurythmics' "Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This)", I was dancing in my seat!!!
Right in the middle of the show, a sweet surprise was waiting for me.
Sandwiched between "How Does It Feel" and "Life In A Northern Town", was "Rio"...
and, captured in bright laser colors,
was a series of miniature portraits
based on the famous 1983 album cover for Duran Duran, a cover inked by a Playboy artist, Patrick Nagel.
How super cool!
I had so enjoyed his modernized drawings,
with their crisp Art Deco lines and
bright anime colors!
I had wondered what happened to him,
if his contract had expired at Playboy.
After all, it was just a year after that
album cover that he disappeared.
Sadly, he was the one expired, dead at 38.
What a loss.

Two artists who truly reveled in the beauty of the female form, dead within two years of each other.
Alberto Vargas was the man who illustrated my Daddy's Playboys, as well as later editions.
Imagine how thrilled I was in 1979 when he did the cover art for the Cars' "Candy-O"!
I still have that album, even though the turntable is long gone.
As for his art, anytime I go to Betty Bombers, I get a Vargas Girl to mark my order - very nice!
i thank You, God, for the memories!

1 comment:

faustina said...

I no longer have the "Candy-O" album.
I took it, and every other album I still owned, over to a nice record shop a couple of weeks ago.
I do hope it will be treasured by its new owner, whoever that may be.

https://beachwalksoffaustina.blogspot.com/2023/06/farewell-to-33s.html