Tuesday, August 21, 2018

i think i'll keep it



Back in July, Smitty had given me this air conditioner.
He had someone who was moving out of a rental and no longer needed it.
"Was I interested? Would I use it if he installed it?"
I had answered "yes" to both questions.
So, I have had the GE Energy Star 115-volt window air conditioner ever since.
I have kept it on the "ECO" setting, which allows the fan and compressor to shut off periodically for a respite.
I'd hoped that setting, as well as having the thermostat at 78 °F (at night) to 81 °F (during the day), would keep my electric bill from getting jacked up.
After all, I'm 'retired' now and on a fixed income.
(smile)
It seems that I've been on a fixed - and very low - income ever since the central air conditioning failed on me.
That was about this time of year, back in the fall semester of 2013.
My third year as a temporary full-time instructor had ended in May of 2013, after the spring semester had done the same.
I had hoped for a fourth year extension, as Will Lynch had granted such to Jon Sanborn... however, none was forthcoming in my direction.
Anywho, that's all old news now, isn't it?
Yes, indeed it is.
So, as I was saying, I've not had central AC for some few years now.
The Peace Guy had gifted me with a portable unit when he left. It was an LG 7000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner, good for cooling small rooms of 200 square feet or less.
I had used it in my bedroom at night, but I had a problem with water leaking under the box I had it on. In fact, it ruined one portion of my carpet and probably the wood floor beneath. So, after 2014, I let it be.
The physicist made use of it last summer when he stayed with me. I know his girlfriend didn't care for the heat, but she was here almost every weekend. They only had the AC when they were in the guest room.
I truly have to thank the bfe for those four months of his company and his financial input to my income. Oh, and thanks, too, for the modifications to the off-the-floor setup for that portable unit. Placed atop a sturdy wooden crate, with a large plastic container under the water drain, I've enjoyed its power in my dining room. True, it didn't keep the room quite comfortable during the day, but it certainly took the edge off the summer's heat.
I still use it to dehumidify at night.
So, here's the big question: how much is this window unit costing me?
The answer: not as much as I had feared!
I've received the new bill from Georgia Power for keeping my house at a comfortable temperature. It's only about twenty-two dollars more than I had been paying!
Hallelujah!
Hallelujah!
I'll see how the bill is next month, just to be sure...
but, hallelujah!
Thank you, Smitty, for thinking of me with this gift of cool.
Thank you, Smitty and Tony, for installing it for me.
Thank You, God, for this blessing.

No comments: