Friday, August 17, 2018

captured coasts



This was a definitely different thing to do on a Friday night.
An unfamiliar place had popped up on my radar and, as they had a free event, with reception, I'd opted to check them out.
I'm so glad I did!
Mary Edna Fraser is about my age, perhaps a few years older.
Like me, she grew up loving the beach and the salt marshes of the lowcountry.
Tonight, she was at One Hundred Miles as part of their "Nature And The Arts" series.
Her "Climate Change and Georgia's Coast: How Art Can Inspire Change" was based on aerial photographs (snapped from her family's 1940's-era aircraft) she'd taken over the past few decades. The 'art' was expressed in the form of batik paintings she made, based on those coastal views.
By the way, creating those art pieces is quite a physical act, as shown here, and takes sometimes months to complete. Good for her!
Such a beautiful way to capture those changing coastlines and marshes!
I wouldn't mind having a series of her works for my Ocean Room.
(smile)
i thank You, God, for my presence here tonight.

Now, on to a more-usual Friday night activity: hanging out with las tres amigas! I'm off to see the 9:05 screening of "Crazy Rich Asians" with Barbara and Sandy, plus Carolyn!
What a magnificent way to close out this day!

No comments: