Tuesday, August 28, 2018

plumbers and dwarves and poison frogs!


I do so enjoy Random Acts of Insanity!

"Have you finally lost your mind and are taking it out on those around you?"

Oh, please, g'friend! You know I'm talkin' 'bout that improv group down in Daytona Beach! I know I talked about them when I took Smitty and Mary to see their show last year. Remember?

"Oh, yeah, that's right. Today is Tuesday and that's their usual day. Very nice! That fellow Andrew Ramos is part of the group, right?"

Yes, indeed! He's been one of the constants for the past twelve years, kind of like Chris Soucy and Justin Kent with Odd Lot. Tonight, he was joined by three others (Minas Fakrajian, George Hanns, and Omar) Reveron, plus a guy who ran their soundboard there at Cinematique.

"Didn't catch his name?"

No. If he had performed with them, I would have heard it a few times. It's like the pitchers in baseball. I hear their name when they first go to the mound... and that's it. With the other players, I hear their names every time they come up to bat, so I learn their names easily.

"Okay, enough of all that. How was the show tonight?"

Fabulous! So much fun for only five bucks!
One of my suggestions was in their very first skit!
Minas and Omar started in "Redneck Alphabet", with my choice - "plumber" - as the profession.
Then, as the game progressed and one would flub the letter to be used, that one would switch out, allowing George and Andrew to play, too.
As you might surmise, it was quite hilarious!!!


"Oh, I'm sure, with butt crack jokes getting an opportunity to show..."

Hahahaha! You said it, sister! Nice inside joke for us, too!

"You betcha! So, what happened next?"

How did you guess the name of the next skit?
Wow, good guess!
Here's how it worked: Andrew and Omar were a father and son on a fishing trip.
George took suggestions from us about what the son brought (meat grinder), what the son did (drew on walls), what the son wore on his head (colander)...
ending with what the dad gave his son to go swimming (my "anchor", as well as a weight belt and bricks) before they both jumped off the stage!

"Whoa... that one got a bit dark at the end..."

That's what George said! Hahaha haha!
But it got lightened back up again with "Click". Remember that movie?

"Yeah, that was the one where the guy with the tv remote kept fast forwarding through his life. Was that what this was about?"

Nope; when Andrew said "click," Minas and George enacted the tv shows suggested.
They got quite a workout, bouncing from "family Feud" to "Mr. Ed", "Cops" to "That 70's Show", "Dr. Phil" to "The View"... and then came the mash-ups!
"Family Feud" and "The History Channel" had Abraham Lincoln against Napoleon!
"Animal Planet" and "Dr. Phil" had two lemurs questioning their sexuality!

"Hahaha hahaha! I might actually watch those made-up shows!"

Hey, don't give television programmers any ideas...

"No worries, dear. I'll make sure your "Family Feud" doesn't get distorted. Well, at least no more than it usually gets. :-) "

I appreciate that! I admit it's one of my guilty pleasures, much like "Snoop Dogg Presents The Joker's Wild". Frankly, I liked it better before he got the cohost...

"Um... hate to interrupt, but we haven't finished with the Daytona show yet."

No, there's still Andrew as psychic "Madame Zelda"!
With the help of spirit guides (George and Omar), 'she' had to 'see' things about Minas.
Little things, like him winning an award for writing a "Western" novel for me -
and becoming a tennis coach in the near future -
and dying one day because he kissed a poisonous frog!
Yes, I'm claiming the frog, as I had been asked for the first letter of my name and someone else said that "f" was for "frog"!!

"That's fine, you claim it, girl! I know you were thinking about those colorful little toxic ones in Panama, weren't you?"

You know I was! I couldn't get the image out of my head during that skit.

"I'm sure. You always had to be on the lookout for them when you took Toffee out for her walks. The poison was on their skin..."

... and we're back to the improv, this time with another new game that I really like!
"One-minute musical" had Andrew, playing poker (in my "Las Vegas") as Minas dealt the cards, as well as the consequences when Andrew grabbed the money and ran.
First, they ran through it straight, then they turned it into the musical -
so... much... fun!!!


"Oh, major coolness! You and your love of musicals!"

You know it!

"What about Omar and George? Didn't they play any more?"

But of course they did!
They were in supporting roles in the musical, but they owned the stage in "Parallel Universe".
They were tasked with switching back and forth between being on a first date and making a jail break.
Hey, that even rhymes!
(smile)
Minas was on as a minor character for them, serving as a waiter and as a warden.

"Whoa, ho, ho! Nice little alliteration there, toots! But I noticed you didn't have a suggestion in that one... right?"

Hey, I made up for it with a doozy in the "Fractured Fairy Tale"!
When Andrew asked for favorite movies, I jumped in with "The Shape Of Water"... and he ran with it!
The Merman Creature (enlivened by Minas) was substituted in for Snow White and hilarity ensued!
Omar was the Evil Queen/Witch, Andrew was Doc Dwarf... and George was Dopey and Sleepy and Bashful and Happy!
What an absolute delight!


"Wow! That's sounds amazing!!!"

Oh, it was! I wish I could have recorded it! Maybe a smart phone might be in my future...

"Oh, please, you don't want one of those flat, featureless phones."

You are correct. I do not... but maybe I would like a camcorder, if they even make those now.

"Maybe. Anywho, was that the last skit?"

No, this one was, with all four singing in turn!
It was very much like that "Hoedown" rhyming skit that's on "Whose Line Is It Anyway?".
They had asked if anyone was celebrating an anniversary and there were actually several who were!
They selected a couple who'd been wed for 52 years and made a very sweet song about them -
well, sweet except for the part about farts and passing gas around each other!

"Aw, c'mon, you know that was still sweet! You were married for fifteen years, you remember y'all being comfortable with gases being emitted from all orifices!"

True dat.
(smile)
That's one of the benefits of being part of a couple. Gases are going to evolve, so at least you don't have to be concerned about trying to hold them in.

"Nor do you have to worry about such things living single."

Nor do I, either!
(smile)
On that note, time to say good night, dear.

"Good night, dear!"

And sweet dreams, too...

No comments: