Thursday, August 16, 2018

a belle and a glimpse of heaven



She is nameless, but that does not detract from her beauty.
No, I speak not of the nineteenth century woman, but of her dress.
The peach satin draws me close every time I visit the Telfair Academy, no matter the reason for my presence there.
Walter MacEwen gave the gown so much texture that my fingers long to make contact with the lustrous fabric, to catch its weight along my arm, to feel it on my cheek!
(smile)
But something was different about the dress this time.
A subtle change in lighting had me investigating "A Belle of 1810" from different angles, trying to discern what had caught my eye..
and then I knew what it was!
The skirt and bodice of the gown is lined, allowing no passage of light...
but the sleeves...
the sleeves only had a lining at the shoulder, for support...
that luminescence within the sleeves were her milky arms.
The sleeves were lace, not satin!
Amazing!
I could not believe I had not noticed that detail before!
Of course I immediately shared the news with Calli Laundre.
The young manager knows me by name and had greeted me as I walked in.
(smile)
We had spoken briefly about the painting, so I knew she liked it, too.
(smile)
She had never noticed the lacy sleeves, either...
how wonderful to have shared that knowledge with her!
Very nice!


I was there for the lecture and reception for a new exhibit, Savannah Families Abroad.
Subtitled "The Consumption of Culture in The Nineteenth Century", the talk introduced us to the late-in-life travels in Europe of the three Telfair sisters... and the curios they collected during their journeys.
Mary, Sarah, and Margaret had wonderful taste and returned to Georgia with fine dishes and lovely glassware and exquisite paintings and sculptures...
filling this building which was their home at the time...
then giving the home and its contents to the city to share with all.
Very nice!

Perhaps I should make sure the bits of art I've accumulated will also be shared.
I have a painting and vase and rocking chair from my two years in Panama.
Oh, and a marble-topped coffee table, too!
From Okinawa, I have my "Geisha" pattern china. I also still have a few odd pieces of my stoneware, not given away like the rest.
Then, from the USO tours to Taiwan and Hong Kong, back in 1981, I have heavy brass mementos: unicorns and dragons, oh my!
And, of course, there are the three coffee mugs I use, too.
I think I have the jade jewelry I had given to Mama in the safe deposit box...
Yes, I'm sure that's where those pieces are.
Plus, my mink blanket and pink satin blanket... more of Okinawa in my closets.
Maybe another talk with Calli is in order to discuss donating the items.

For now, I'm going to take in Odd Lot's show.
It's been a long time since I've made their Thursday Old Time Radio Hour!
That will be a definite treat to finish this evening spent in old times.
(smile)
So long, my dears!

No comments: