Thursday, August 23, 2018

patting bottoms


This "Pickles" cartoon started the wheel turning in my head, two weeks ago.
In it, Grandma is confronting her grandson, Nelson, while the family dog looks on.
The topic was the patting of bottoms, i.e., rear ends, tushes, derrieres.
Grandma told the boy that he should not pat her bottom "or anyone else's bottom" because it was an act of disrespect.
The dog telecommunicated that the boy was welcome to pat his bottom any time.
In this age of #MeToo, I can see it being difficult to be a human male.
In the world of sports, bottom-patting by coaches and teammates is a common occurrence. Male to male, female to female, or mixed sexes, it's all taken as a congenial gesture for a good play.
However, in any other venue, that would be grounds for a civil suit.
When did that become a real option?
Why do the women of today act so quickly to condemn all men because of one?
Do these women interact with so few males?
Did these women grow up without a father, without brothers?
I'm beginning to think that is the case in many of these situations.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not condoning unwanted bottom-patting.
Not at all.
I'm just saying it shouldn't be used as a weapon by either sex.



Last week, this video was posted on the facebook pages of several of my friends.
Seth Meyers had used the video on his late-night show, touting it as "The Kind of Story We Need Right Now: Waitress Body Slams Groper".
My friends had recognized the waitress as one working at Vinnie Van Go-go's, a favorite local pizzeria downtown.
That's downtown here, in Savannah, a place I've been to often.
The waitresses there have always been good at handling the customers.
I'm remembering one in particular - Bernadette? Brigett? Brenda? - who dressed in black and carried a whip.
(smile)
Anyhow, this particular pizza slinger wasn't willing to let a customer pat her bottom, just because he thought he could.
She took care of the situation then and there...
as she had every right to do, as he had accosted her first...
and someone had filmed it with their phone.
I wonder if she gets better tips now that the video has gotten national exposure.

No one was around to video my response to a similar situation.
I was probably about her age, in my twenties.
I think I was in Okinawa, at the NCO Club on post, and had been dancing.
Thirsty, I'd headed to the bar for a libation and that's when it happened.
A guy walking past me had put his hand firmly on my butt and lightly squeezed... and then continued right by, as if he'd done nothing.
(That's pretty close to what happened to the pizza waitress.)
I had chased him down and slapped him, in front of all there, while telling him to never touch my butt again.
He had apologized profusely and then we'd both gone our separate ways.
The situation had occurred and was handled and was done.
Finito.
If that had happened today, the guy would have probably found himself shamed out of a job and possibly spending a night in jail.
What an over-reaction that would be, wouldn't it?

No comments: