Tuesday, August 7, 2018

waiting for new Bananas in May


Why would I have to wait until spring for this fruit?
Well, baseball in Savannah is well and truly done for 2018.


The Savannah Bananas lost tonight's Playoff game, not even making a single run.
I do hate it when I'm right... but I forecast this loss two days ago.
No, I had not said they would be scoreless - just that the game would be a "true championship bid", not the easy romp they had, and have been having, in most of their Southern CPL Division games this season.

The Highpoint-Thomasville Hi-Toms, who were clearly there to play baseball, must have wondered at first if they had stumbled upon a carnival there at Grayson Stadium.
However, they soon realized they were at both.
They repeatedly ventured in front of their dugout to take in "the show", laughing at the antics of contestants and ballplayers alike, even whipping out phones to record the zaniness... and the response in the stands.


That bothered me.
I don't consider myself to be part of "the show" - but was I? Was Willie?
To an outside observer, clearly we were.
I understand now why Lauri and Lynn felt embarrassed by the sideline games and opted out of being season members.

But the Hi-Toms' reactions to us didn't sway me tonight from my enjoyment of the game!
Tonight's "The Star-Spangled Banner" was performed a la Jimi Hendrix, as he played it almost fifty years ago - very stirring!
Hard to believe he'd have been 76 years old this year... but we never think of him as old and gray.
In actuality, Jimi was born just four years after Mister Willie.

Speaking of baseball's biggest fan in Savannah, here he is!
(No, the person, not the Big Ass fans - nice joke, though!)
He's having a chuckle with his favorite young woman, Kayla Jones, the one who makes sure his chili dogs are fresh and hot and his Coca-Cola is nice and cold!
Mister Willie has invited her to come see him at church... maybe she will.
I hope so - I know he'd love to speak to her again!

In the meanwhile, he and I will await more baseball to come, though perhaps not as good a baseball game as this one has been.
True, the Hi-Toms emerged victorious, with three runs, but it was a good game, well-played by both teams.
I'll be watching to see how the 'visitors' do in their Championship games over the next few days.
Hopefully, Savannah's team next year will be in that position, just as they were in 2016.
(smile)


Farewell, my 2018 boys of summer! I have so enjoyed watching you play!
How did I know it was baseball and not a carnival?
Mister Willie Smith was right by my side.
(smile)
i thank You, God.

No comments: