Wednesday, August 22, 2018

not my Elvis, not an ETA, again


Well, the PFS didn't show the movie I had hoped for, and quite frankly, expected.
Tonight was a celebration of the upcoming 66th birthday of Declan McManus and the movie title had been kept secret, as Jim likes to do.
That name, Declan, not ringing a bell?
Well, that's because he uses a stage name.
"Elvis" - for Elvis Presley, of course - was chosen for the first part, with "Costello" having him following in his father's musical footsteps.
Jim Reed is a big fan of this Elvis' music.
For our viewing pleasure, he'd chosen "Club Date: Live in Memphis" from 2004.
The movie consisted of two parts: live concert footage from Hi-Tone, a 200-seat venue in the title town, and candid footage from a road trip in a 1955 yellow-tone classic.

That segment seemed endless, much like another road trip film.
It consisted of Costello and his drummer, Pete Thomas, chatting about stuff and nonsense mostly as their driver took them on a tour of old recording studios in the south.
I was trying to rationalize an early exit when this scene appeared.
"Let Elvis rock you to sleep" was the message... and Costello, at one point, looked at the wall and then back to the camera - hey, hey!
An inside joke from the Universe for me! (smile)
So, I had stayed.
After all, if that sweet surprise had been there, perhaps others were, too.
And guess what?
There was another one, a big one, tucked into the concert footage!



The concert was meant to promote a new album, "The Delivery Man", but he made sure to sprinkle some older hits around, here and there.
After the road trip portion, it was very nice to have tunes for dancing in my seat. "Radio, Radio"! "What's So Funny 'Bout Peace, Love, and Understanding"! "Pump It Up"!
Plus, he and Emmy Lou Harris did a beautiful duet of Johnny Cash's "I Still Miss Someone".
(Nice side note: "The Delivery Man" was based loosely on a concept story for Johnny Cash, so it was very nice to hear one of his songs.)
Still, my favorite was the mash-up of two songs: Elvis Costello's, "Alison", and Elvis Presley's "Suspicious Minds" - wow!
The song is above, just as it appeared in the concert film, too!
See that purple jacket and purple shirt Costello is wearing?
He bought those on the road trip.
(smile)

After transforming the viewing room back into a coffee shop,
the few of us there had gone outside to continue our talks of
stuff and nonsense and the music documentary seen tonight.
Somehow, we had separated into a trio of women
- me, Carolyn, and Terri -
and a trio of men
- Jim, Jordan, and Will.
We were conversing on the sidewalk and
they were in the parking lot.

Eventually, we all headed toward our cars,
meaning I found myself over by the guys.
So, I was standing at the end of Jim's van,
much as I am in the above photo -
got the picture?
(smile)
Then, Jim says, "Tina, you're a bachelor, aren't you?"
And, justthatfast, I had pranced my right leg forward
and thrown my right hand up and, tossing my hair,
I coquettishly posed, saying
"I'm a bachelorette!"
hahahaha hahaha!
They were so flummoxed! Party over!
I guess I should be a girl more often!
(smile)

No comments: