Monday, August 20, 2018

Elvis at 33



I had such a wonderful time watching "Elvis" at the Regal Cinema tonight with Carolyn!
I had expected more of a concert, but the special reminded me of those fun variety shows back in the late 60's and early 70's that I had so enjoyed when I was growing up.
"Hee Haw", "Carol Burnett", "The Muppet Show", "Mac Davis", "Sonny & Cher" - all were formatted in this same manner, with comedic skits interspersed with musical numbers.
Those were all fabulous fun - and so was this!
The skits also reminded me of the delicious sense of humor Elvis had - very nice!
Plus, as a bonus for this 50th anniversary of the television event, an exclusive look at the making of the special was included, featuring insights from producer Steve Binder and from Priscilla Presley. For instance, I had not realized that the show was not filmed in live time, but other the course of four days. That's a long time in black leather!
I had also not realized that "If I Can Dream" was written for Elvis after the assassination of Martin Luther King, Jr. The use of the song as the finale for the television special was to emphasize the importance of its lyrics.
That's how much the song meant to Elvis.
Fifty years ago, this Southern man was preaching about harmony between the races.
Fifty years ago.
Wow.

After the movie, Carolyn kept saying she had forgotten how handsome Elvis Presley had been.
I told her I always thought he reminded me of my Daddy.
Both men were close in age, with Daddy just a year younger.
Both had been Southern-born, to poor church-going families.
Both had similar genetic backgrounds, with dark, wavy hair and blue eyes and good cheekbones and chins.
But I was Daddy's girl and Daddy was the one I knew first, Daddy was the one I heard sing first, Daddy was the one.
Elvis reminds me of my Daddy...
and I only realized that today.
i thank You, God.

No comments: