Monday, May 27, 2019

banana-rama-ding-dong birthday!

Here's me and Scott, walking through the gate, ready for my birthday60+1 party!
Oh, wait, I meant to say we were there for the Savannah Bananas' Fan Fest at Grayson Stadium...
but, hey, we all know the real deal!
Why else would we have been videoed as we entered?
Check the tape at 14:51 - that's us!
Mere moments later, my favorite Eagle Scout snapped this photograph of me and Split.
Little did any of us know that Jesse Cole had photo-bombed us!
That yellow tux doesn't even slow the man down, not one whit!
The Bananas Band was out there on the apron,
in force, to welcome us to the party.
Thanks, y'all!
"That's the way, uh huh, uh huh,
I like it, uh huh, uh huh!"
Nothing like a little KC & The Sunshine Band
to set the beat!
Made me feel like a teen again!
This new bunch of Bananas was out there, too,
as a welcoming committee.
Too bad they were facing the wrong direction
to see me on that yellow carpet...
or were they purposely standing like that so
I could admire their fine shoulders and tushes?
That could be, that could be!
Great Scott!
No, seriously... Scott is such
a great guy!
He was sure to be there early
so he could get maximum time
with me!
What a sweetheart, even if he
does look like he's my bodyguard
with those dark shades!
That photo of him was taken right after we had bopped down for another hotdog, after my interview.
Yes, that's what I said: my interview!!!
Margie was one of the two Banana staffers reporting, via live feed, on the goings on there today.
Yes, that means my interview was live on that feed!
I can assure you that she had no idea who I was when she asked if she could interview me - but she sure found out!
I talked about my birthday!
I talked about loving all the yellow!
And I talked about a hot dog at the ball park being better than a steak at the best restaurant.
(Humphrey Bogart first said that!)
She didn't quite buy that line about the hot dog, but she certainly had fun talking to me and I had a blast talking to her!
Where was Scott during all of this?
He'd moved three rows and an aisle over, to make sure he'd be out of camera range.
He did enjoy watching the two of us have fun, though!
As I said, we'd bounced back downstairs to fetch new hot dogs and see how Mister Willie was doing.
He was just fine, thank you very much, and having a little interview of his own!
And when we'd finally made it back up the stairs again, I talked Willie into taking a seat at a lower level.
Fortunately, a dear friend of his was waiting to surprise him: Bruce Revis!
I would recognize that smile of his anywhere!
What a great surprise for Willie!
Plus, Bruce had reserved Willie's seat for him, so their next stop was up that flight of stairs!
We all sat for a spell after that, taking in
the smell of the green grass, smelling that
summer air, listening to the sweet music of
wooden bats smacking leather balls -
oh, life is so good!
Then, we were every one us allowed to go into the locker room!!!
How very cool that every player's space was marked with bright signs!
The entire area seemed light and airy, not cramped like in the movies.
Scott paused to take a photo of their game day rules, pledging to incorporate them into his own set.
I, of course, took a photo of him taking a photo.
(smile)
And then...?
Then we came up out of that locker room toward the field, just as the Bananas do on game nights, and right up into their dugout!
What a thrill that was!!!
We even sat on the bench for a few minutes!
Time to walk around the bases, being sure to plant a foot firmly on each one before proceeding to the next, just as I had done at the Field of Dreams!
It was so nice to have Scott beside me for this rounding of the bases!
We had walked out to the Green Wall, where I took this shot while my bare feet enjoyed the cool bounce of the turf.
We took the long way back to the concourse,
making a detour to the Banana Stand.
That's where I - and he, too! - received a parting gift that we can enjoy all summer: a bottomless soda cup, courtesy of Enmark!
I love the four photos on it!
The ball park, a Banana batting, a Banana pitching, and a Banana catching - very nice!
Thanks, y'all, for the party!
Thanks, Scott, for your ever-delightful company!
Thanks, Berry Aldridge and Darius Jackson, for helping with Mister Willie!
Time to take him home and take my leave.
What a wonderful birthday celebration!
i thank You, God.

No comments: