Thursday, May 30, 2019

still in love with josephine baker


One of the tunes on "T's Happy Songs" sounds like it should
be a downer, about a love never meant to be.
"I'm in love with Josephine Baker", the young man sings,
"there's a problem, she's twenty years dead."
I absolutely love that song by Fossil!
That's why it's on the CD my ex made for me years ago.
(smile)
I was the first to recognize "Josephine Baker"
at the top of the stairs!
In fact, I identified the character before
I did the person in the costume!
Of course I had to remind Cree Rogers about
General Sherman's show at Muse Arts -
such a while that I've enjoyed her acting!
I'm so glad she's at the ball park now!
She was not the only actor in the house, either.
Each Banana of this year's bunch was incognito in the stands until time to take the field.
When his name was announced, the player would rise, releasing a golden cloud of glitter as he removed his disguise and headed to his station.
Absolutely magnificent bit of magic!!!
And then came Bruce!
When I first spotted this Original Man-Nana with
his Dad-Bod and cheerleader skirt, the bouncing
black curls threw me off...
but not those laughing eyes!
I'd recognize them anywhere!
He wasn't the only Man-Nana running around, but
he sure was the most adorable!
Mister Willie was there, too, naturally.
Tonight, for this first sold-out crowd at Grayson Stadium, the man in the yellow tux had stood on the field and showed his appreciation to Willie for being such a faithful fan of baseball, in that house, since the 1940's.
How wonderful to have him be so appreciated!
Just who was that young man looking up at him?
That's my nephew Noah, here for part of the summer heat in Savannah!
He had made sure to be sporting his Banana gear!
Noah and Willie had been chatting about baseball
before the game, with him learning about Willie's
son, the MLB pitcher, and finding him online.
Pretty cool beans, right?
Then, during the game, Noah would even let loose
with a cheer now and then!
Hey, he really had to if he was going to sit
between me and Willie!
Not that my friend Scott ever felt inclined to clap along with a beat or yell out for a "hit, hit, hit!"
In fact, after our third-base coach had waved in two Bananas to their death at home plate, in less than a minute's time, Scott literally washed his hands of them and went in search of fries.
Seriously! It was quite funny to me!
Nonetheless, Scott's 26 rules of watching a game
did not seem to affect how this one against the
Macon Bacon finished up.
It was the bottom of the ninth...
score tied, with a man on third...
C-R-A-C-K! went the bat, sending the white orb
with its 108 stitches flying into the field!
And the man crossed home plate!!!
Tying run scored!!!
The Savannah Bananas win on opening night!!!
Final score: 4 to 3.
I'm so glad I was here for this post-birthday60+1
delight, with my newest nephew and oldest friend
and favorite Eagle Scout!
(smile!)

3 comments:

faustina said...

Oh, no!
I had a ticket on my windshield when we left the game.
Willie had forgotten his Handicapped Parking Permit, but I had been told to park in one of those spots anyway.
I had left a note on the dash to that effect, but no one read it.
Berry Aldridge took it and told me he would get it taken care of, since I'm "doing God's work" by getting Willie to the games.
What a very sweet thing to say!
Still... that ticket worried me greatly.
Sure enough, when I had dropped Willie off for this second home game, Berry had resolved the issue and had the ticket waived.
i thank You, God.

faustina said...

Oh, I finally remembered about the Coastal Plains League site, with the statistics for the games.
https://www.coastalplain.com/sports/bsb/2018-19/boxscores/20190530_d05b.xml

The runner with that tie-breaker in the 9th was Mike Williams, who had been pinch running and managed to advance all the way around. Good work!

sis-in-law Laura said...

May 31, 2019

Good Morning Sister. Noah had sooooo much fun last night. He talked a mile a minute when he got home. Thanks for taking him! I found out we can go to Pigeon Forge either June 13-16 or 20-23. Let me know if either of those work. Thanks! Love ya!