Wednesday, May 22, 2019

happy birthday from Ships of the Sea!

They even had a military band
to welcome me to the
birthday60+1 party!
And which one did they bring in
to regale this former sailor?
The Parris Island Marine Band,
of course, from Beaufort!
USN and USMC, together always!
(smile!)
Ostensibly, the event was billed as the "200th Anniversary Celebration" of the trans-Atlantic sailing of the S.S. Savannah.
The Propeller Club of the United States - Port of Savannah billed it as their annual "National Maritime Day" gala.
How are the events linked?
Maritime Day was birthed in 1933 by President F.D. Roosevelt to commemorate the day that novel steamship left port to create history.
How was she a unique vessel, something new under the sun?
She was a hybrid, a sailing ship powered by steam, with an eye toward future use as a passenger vessel.
Notice all of the bunting hung from the rafters of the North Garden Assembly Room?
Those decorations are a near-replica of the ones in Johnson Square one hundred years ago, for a visit by President Monroe for the first launching of the S.S. Savannah.
Very nice birthday party decor!
(smile!)
Oh, but before I wax on (wax off! There's a joke for the 1980's crowd!) about the party, there's one more thing about that incredible ship.
Robert Claiborne Morris, renowned artist and the communication director for Georgia Ports, had created two grand art works in honor of her historic crossing and impact on the future of sea travel.
That's him, in the above photo, smiling for the camera, in front of one of the two new pieces, ‘S.S Savannah: The Journey’.
I preferred his other piece, ‘S.S Savannah: A Wheel Within Wheels’.
Not only would it play nicely with my "Ocean, Tumultuous", but I do believe it would be right at home in my Ocean Room.
(smile!)
Oh! One more thing about that ship!
I almost forgot to mention the importance of holding the 200th anniversary here, at the Ships of The Sea Maritime Museum.
Before it became that, the 1919 structure was known as the William Scarbrough House and Gardens...
built for its namesake, a 45-year-old shipping merchant with an eye to the future and deep pockets...
who helped finance the ground-breaking S.S. Savannah.
Wow, I love interweavings!

Now, let's talk about the party from my perspective, i.e., how it ties in for my birthday!
I do appreciate that Governor Nathan Deal attended!
True, he was being honored as The Propeller Club's Maritime Person of the Year for his work to establish the Appalachian Regional Inland Port...
But it was a surprise for me, too!
(smile!)
The cocktail reception, which lasted throughout the
four-hour celebration, was delicious!
The Propeller Club even granted me a birthday beverage!
"I Am The Roadie" - such a nice lager!
And the food... oh, my, such healthy options!
Grilled broccoli and cauliflower, baked sweet potato wedges, black bean hummus - such delicious choices!
The shredded meat was excellent, too!
Several of my friends surprised me with their presence, too!
Sarah, of the Lunch Ladies group -
Lisa of the Boomers bunch -
Annie from Live Out Loud! -
Jim Moore, fellow volunteer at SMF -
Jackie, also an LL, a Boomer, and movie pal -
Marcia from LL and LOL!, as well as Travel Buddies -
Nick Harty, from my days of working at Smitty's Hardwood Floors -
how truly magnificent to talk and party with y'all!
(smile!)

No comments: