Saturday, May 25, 2019

garden delights, peter pan, and aladdin

These were the flowers I had come to see on this hot day!
Oak leaf hydrangeas, they're called, and quite aptly so.
The huge leaves, each at least a foot long, are shaped exactly like those on oaks - just much larger!
They reside in the garden of Mary and Pat Prokop, in the back left section now.
I've become rather fond of these flowers, too.
They look to be on stalks, but that's an illusion.
Actually, gloriosa lilies grow on vines, so they need a trellis or they sprawl along the ground.
Pat told me they're very easy to grow...
so maybe I'll give them a try with my brown thumb!
This dahlia is quite gorgeous, even though it was
wilting a little in the day's heat.
Notice there are two varieties: this lighter, lilac
version, and then the much darker purple of those
in the background.
To my surprise, this crazy little pinwheel affair
is also a dahlia!
I would never have guessed that.
I'm accustomed to that flora genus being
more lushly petaled than this.
This annual event at the home of these fellow Asburians is mostly for folks to enjoy the great variety of lilies.
As well as the gloriosa variety, they also have:
soft summer nights, a cool heart amid pale pink ruffles;
over joyed, boasting a crimson edged in golden fringe;
splash of stardust, with its tiers of frothy salmon;
and firefly frenzy, which resembled bright yellow dragonflies darting about.
Plus, there are the many unnamed varieties that they
have created via cross-pollination.
I learned all this, and more, because I had the time to
sit and visit with them.
I was the only visitor in the afternoon, so we sat and
listened to the burble of the fountain and we talked...
about solar panels and 1970's thoughts about energy...
about shallow wells and blue clay caps...
about hurricane Matthew and their home in Michigan...
but, mostly, we talked about flowers.
I'm glad I was there to start my day!

In fact, I was there for nearly two hours.
I needed to adjust my travel plans and take a lunch
break instead - and I knew where I wanted to go.
I still had a Chili's gift card with three bucks on it.
This shrimp Caribbean salad was just the cool treat on
this ultra-hot day... and the gift card "savings" amply
covered the tip for Gypsy's superb service!
Now, to bounce out to the eastside of town!
Destination: the Savannah Children's Theatre.
It seems like forever since I've been there,
what with one thing or another keeping me away.
Actually, my last time there was last year.
Definitely time to for a visit!
I had been looking forward to this play and had initially planned to see it tomorrow, but I just couldn't wait!
"Peter Pan" drew me in, fairy dust and all!
Plus, I just love the songs in it...
oh! and the dancing! and the flying!
and the antics of Captain Hook!
What a delicious treat to beat the heat!
(smile)
Next up was a new event... or so I thought.
Not that UnderGo is not new - this is only the second year
existence of this outdoor local-groups-only music festival.
However, this was the first time I went to it, only I didn't.
This is Sue Gorecki's photo, from her venture there earlier.
By the time I arrived after five, everyone seemed to be on break, including the artists, both musical and visual.
Back to home to chill out, so to speak!
That is, until Barbara and Carolyn and Sandy
answered my call to a movie!
It must have been all the Bollywood in our
blood that drew us toward this desert adventure!
"Aladdin" was all that I could have hoped for...
and so much more!
Musical? You bet, with a baker's dozen sung!
Dancing? Yes, hallelujah, with skirts and scarves
and heels flying all around!
Romance? Not just one, but two tales of love!
Comedy? Most certainly, and a bit of intrigue, too!
And the colors... oh, my, the lush use of colors!
Not only with the clothing, but with the cast!
There was even one "white" man in the mix, played nicely as a comic foil.
Good for Disney for truly going international!
I'll be back again for this one.
Methinks we all will be!
(smile)

3 comments:

meteorologist Pat said...

May 25, 2019
9:27 PM

Patrick Prokop
Thank you for putting up with that record heat.

Danielle said...

Danielle Houston
May 25 at 8:27 PM

Faustina Smith I heard you laughing!
(at "Peter Pan")

Sandy said...

27 May 2019
1:07 PM

Sandra Cherise Karlin

Yesterday the temperature in Savannah soared to a record high of 102 degrees. Right now the temperature is already 98 and is expected to hit at least 101. Tomorrow's going to be more of the same. It's not even summer!