Wednesday, May 29, 2019

touching all the right bases before home

Almost felt like I was dining
at a cafe al fresco!
This is where my birthday begins
each year:
at Roly Poly of Savannah, on
Barnard Street.
The next part of my tradition involves taking in some art.
This time, I began at the Telfair Academy's basement.
"Dying Gaul" provided this interesting face and shoulders.
I do like shoulders on men... and tousled curls of hair!
(smile)
With "Laocoon and His Sons" there were plenty of shoulders!
I like the long hair and the beard on the older guy.
Nice thighs and calves on him, too.
Perhaps a bit of hair on his chest would have been nice,
but I could understand that might be difficult to sculpt.
(smile)
I decided to follow Dr. Frank N. Furter's example and 'build' a man for me in this basement!
Now, I was looking for some tush, as ZZ Top would say!
I found it, too, with "Hermes, Belvedere" - such a very fine derriere that I found it difficult not to cup those cheeks and run my hands up that smooth back to those strong shoulders!
(smile)
Time to shift to more serene thoughts on this ultra-hot day!
Up I went, from the basement to the half-floor up from the lobby,
to visit "A Belle of 1810", my favorite painting.
Was she contemplating her birthday as she gazed into the mirror?
Perhaps so... or maybe the sheen of her satin gown.
(smile)
Done with the Telfair, out I ventured into the square that bears its name.
I sat for a few moments, taking in the beauty of the sunlit ancient oaks and the crisp blue sky of Nature's museum.
"I think that I shall never see a poem as lovely as a tree."
Yes, that is still one of this Savannah girl's favorites.
First stop in the Jepson was on the third floor, taking the time to smell the "katniss" at the top.
(Yes, that's my Elvis bag marking my place in this 'selfie'.)
My destination was to the right, for an exhibit I had somehow missed and was soon to leave.
The works of Jaume Plensa were in a dimly lit space, with the nineteen stainless steel structures suspended above the floor.
The lighting allowed a lacy shadow under each, begging the question: were the shadows a deliberate part of the display or a artifacts?
"Talking Continents" provided a cool, reflective site to consider the many languages represented and the art of communication as a tool which can separate, but can also unite.
Then I had glanced in this direction and seen the bright colors of the outside world beckoning.
Time to rescue my car!
But the museum had one last scene to tantalize me.
Why not go fly a kite on this lovely late-spring day?
Alas, I had not yet put my kite back into my car, so that would have to wait for some other time.
Mother Earth persisted.
At Greenwich Cemetery, a near-constant breeze off Bull River kept the flags a-flutter.
Again I felt a tug to loft a bit of man-made flyer into the blue -
I truly must place my kite back into my car!
Today, though, the emphasis was on visiting Mama, tidying up, placing new markers for myself and my three brothers.
As I prepared to take my leave, I found the stars!
Inspired, I snapped this, sporting the heart-shaped key ring she'd given me on my 19th birthday.
I'm so blessed to still have that piece of everyday art!
The next stop?
Well, my traditional birthday visits were now done.
Time to hit the Food Lion - RAWR! - for milk and eggs...
and ice cream!
With blueberries, even plain vanilla becomes something special!
What a lovely afternoon treat!

No comments: